A poke in the eye

Discuss sparring, training applications in a competition environment, or even in real-life (fighting, self-defence). Please no violence!
And stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Postby DOM » Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:57 pm

The theroy is that over stimulation directly on the finger tips can cause damage to the eyes not just the body weight.
DOM
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby zipwolf » Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:24 am

DOM wrote:The theroy is that over stimulation directly on the finger tips can cause damage to the eyes not just the body weight.

Scram dude, i want that guitar. Will you buy it, and let me steal it?

And if the stimulation does it, then i suppose all these years of typing quickly will screw me up too. DAMN YOU MODERN WORLD!
zipwolf
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby Flip » Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:22 am

zipwolf wrote:Scram dude, i want that guitar. Will you buy it, and let me steal it?!

You need an amp that goes up to 11 for that one ;)

i've been playing guitar for about 13 years and haven't noticed any ill-effects on my eyes. they've actually gotten stronger because i refused to wear glasses.
Flip
Forum Addict

Postby scramasax57 » Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:39 pm

i am aware that the problem is excessive stimulation to the cavities. however, playing guitar doesn't stimulate them as much as finger tip pushups because there is less pressure, therefore less force, therefore less stimulation. therefore no problem.

You need an amp that goes up to 11 for that one icon_wink.gif

and a big ol piece of sheet metal for a pick.

i love that movie, by the way.
aka eric hinds, 2nd stripe
n. andover, ma branch
yang's martial arts association

changchuan, baihe, and xingyi
scramasax57
Forum DemiGod

Postby DOM » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:18 pm

Should have come to the crane seminar would have love to had the chance to train with you.Why don't any of you guys from andover come,your only a few miles away,it would make for a much more interesting seminar to have the oppurtunity to train with differant peaple.How do you know that for sure.I played a little guitar and played to my fingers blead and had callouses 1/4 inch thick.I have done many finger tip pushups and never had that acure.I am not saying playing guitar will cause vision problems.What I am trying to get at is I doubt finger tip pushups will cause a problem if guitar playing dose not. this is only a theroy has it been proven?Even if it will how many push ups will cause a problem.99.9% of peaple will never be able to do more then 50 of them at a time anyway.I think if this theroy is correct it is much more likley some one would have vision problems from playing a stringed insturment then push ups.A musician will play for many hours at a time, day after day,week after week,month after month,year after year.
DOM
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby jellybean » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:34 am

lol the eyes and the ears are the only places you can't practice qi gong
jellybean
Forum Contributor

Postby scramasax57 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:21 pm

i too kind of doubt that fingertip pushups cause serious, quickly-onsetting damage in most cases. but there's always the possibility, plus its just easy to injure the fingers, so i do slower methods like fingerpad pushups and slowly building up strength by tapping the fingertips on the heavy bag. i don't know any of this for sure (in fact, i don't really know anything for sure), it's either stuff master yang has told me and in some conjectures of my own.

i've never had the chance to go in to boston for a seminar because they've always overlapped with school. very frustrating. should remedy that next year though; i'll either be in boston working with city year or in worcester in a similar program, in which case it should be easier to get in and train.
n. andover, ma branch

scramasax57
Forum DemiGod

Postby DOM » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:04 pm

I don't take any thing Dr.Yang sayes lightly either,one would be crazy to do so.Away at college?Well thats understandable,but what about every one else up there.We had a great time and I am still sore all over.But it would be even better if there were more Crane students there.Where else can you get a chance to train with so many crane students.Every one who dose crane with Ymaa should try to get together at these seminars so we can all help each other improve and reach a deeper level.This one was a little on the small side so talk it up for the summer seminar lets pack the place.
DOM
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby scramasax57 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:51 pm

college, i wish...still in high school. last year. so if i take off to go train, i get busted for truancy. that will all end soon, fortunately. don't know why other people don't go. some friends of mine are heading in for the february qigong seminar, which at the moment is beyond my financial means. i'm already planning for the summer seminars though. i'll be there. last night i ended up riding my bike for 5 miles through slush to get to qin na class, so never fear, nothing can stop me.
n. andover, ma branch

scramasax57
Forum DemiGod

SEEING

Postby tim 1 mc » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:52 pm

Hello I'am new to this forum know thou this the Patron of the eye is Saint Uriel:In that God is my light.
tim 1 mc

Postby yat_chum » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:40 am

Eye Gouging & Close Range Striking
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YBTPBlVVSQ
yijing zhidong

use stillness to overcome movement
yat_chum
Forum God

Previous

Return to Sparring and Fighting