Adapting 8 Pieces of Brocade?

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Adapting 8 Pieces of Brocade?

Postby Pandragon » Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:04 am

I am currently recovering from a long-term back injury and am having some trouble with pieces #5 and #6. The other pieces feel great, but those two are just too strenuous for me at the moment.

For instance, I'm unable to bend at the waist to reach down and pull on my toes for #6 (in fact, no where close to that level of flexibility). Does this inflexibility eliminate the benefit of the movement?

#5 is also a problem due to temporary leg weakness and instability in my hip joints.

Does anyone know ways I could alter or adapt these specific movements, and still preserve their benefits? Or perhaps borrow from other versions of this set, in order to continue practicing this set while I finish healing?

If anyone knows of a more gentle form of this same chi gung set, or just for #'s 5 and 6), please let me know.

Thanks! :D
Pandragon
Forum Newbie

Postby Pandragon » Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:27 pm

Ok, I'm answering my own question in case anyone else has the same problems I did.

The answer is go here: www.cloudwater.com and order their Level 1 Course. It's an extensive course on the Standing 8 Pieces of Brocade, designed for people who are completely new to Qigong as well as advanced students. And if you don't happen to have the flexibility of a 17 year old, they show you how to adapt the movements to your own level of ability.
Pandragon
Forum Newbie

Postby Tomsa » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:11 pm

If you wish to adapt your Baduanjin, then the book "The Way of Energy" by Lam Kam-Chuan is a good place to start. Exercise 5 is done more like a side bend, feet shoulder width apart, and exercise 6 is done more like a squat, hands touching the knees instead of feet. The book has great descriptions and is an excellent source of info on zhan zhuang gong. I have practiced many different versions of baduanjin and am pretty open minded about it.
Tomsa
Forum Newbie

Postby joeblast » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:11 am

pandragon, try bending your knees a bit; that will still allow you to stretch down and get the lower back stretched without engaging the whole leg. Just try to stick as much as is comfortable to the instructed motion to reach the intended target areas, just limit motion where necessary.
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Postby Yatish Parmar » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:33 pm

AFAIK for piece six it is very important that you use the diaphragm correctly in order to squeeze the kidneys. The touching the toes part I think comes after.
Yatish
Yatish Parmar
Forum Guru

Postby Dvivid » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:49 am

In Dr. Yang's Eight Brocades DVD, he explains that we are not all equally flexible, but if you work toward flexibility, the body will respond.

He shows that no matter how far forward you can bend, you can still get equal benefit. Qigong should always feel natural and comfortable.

For #5, only squat as low as is comfortable, and gradually the legs and back will adjust.

For #6, you may bend and grab your toes, or the back of the knees, or even just behind the hamstrings and get the same benefit. The idea is to stretch the lower back and lead kidney Qi down. Bend forward, and when you feel the lower back slightly stretch, you're in correct position.

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing/dvd/qigong_DVD/8_simple_qigong_DVD
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Return to Qigong / Chi Kung