tongue placement

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

tongue placement

Postby Tosh » Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:29 am

Lately i've had trouble keeping my tongue to the roof of my mouth. It tense up a little bit and saliva gathers around so I have to swallow it's kind of annoying if i'm trying to calm my mind.
I heard some people say you should hold the tip of your tongue just behind your teeth. there is a somewhat square piece. Is this true and have I been doing it wrong all this time

can someone please clarify this for me?
Tosh
Forum Contributor

Postby Dvivid » Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:41 am

Don't be annoyed by the saliva generated. It is very healthy, and its really not that hard to just swallow periodically and not get distracted by it.

The spot for the tongue to touch is behind the two front teeth, wherever the roof of your mouth is most sensitive. Find a spot that is comfortable. I know what you mean, but once you do it a while, it shouldn't be distracting or tense any more.
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Postby student57 » Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:18 am

i found it difficult in the beginning. when told to put my tongue on the roof of my mouth i was like, where?!?!

Dvivid describes the spot well. with time i've found my tongue more flexible to the extent keeping it there [behind the front teeth] is easier.

on a side note i've found [since swallowing more saliva] my throat isn't as dry and irritated as it was.
student57
Forum Newbie

Postby Tosh » Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:32 am

Thanks Dvivid and student57 for responding, right after i posted this post and read Dvivid advice I found the right spot for my tongue it's now totally relaxed again like it just to be.
The reason why i asked about saliva I because i could only remember it disturbing me for a week, I can't remember what happend before during meditation, i can't remember swallowing saliva an hour ago actually while i was meditating
Tosh
Forum Contributor

Tongue Placement

Postby Sifu Stier » Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:48 pm

Hello Everyone!

Most Taoist Internal Arts...such as Tai-Chi Chuan...Pa-Kua Chang...and Hsing-Yi Chuan...traditionally advocate placing the tongue tip further back on the roof of the mouth at the juncture of the hard palate and the softer...smoother skin beyond...so that the tongue is more vertical...like a pillar reaching to the ceiling of a building from the floor. The teeth of the upper and lower jaw simultaneously touch lightly...but do not bite together with any forcefulness.

These two factors...when combined with gentle contractions of the anal sphincter and perineum muscles...enable the the chi which rises upward in both the Governing Vessel Meridian of the back's spinal centerline...and the Conception Vessel Meridian of the front centerline...to communicate with one another and return to the perineum and Tan-Tien...thus generating the Small Circle of Heaven energy circuit....sometimes called the Microcosmic Orbit nowadays.

Such placement of the tongue and teeth is traditionally recommended in these Internal Arts Styles when practicing any Chi-Kung exercise or Form Set.
Light to All!
Sifu Stier
Forum User

denture

Postby ultanemmett » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:55 pm

Does it make any difference if you wear a denture?
ultanemmett
Just Arrived

Return to Qigong / Chi Kung