Question about “The Muscle-Tendon Change” (Yi Jin Jing) !

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Question about “The Muscle-Tendon Change” (Yi Jin Jing) !

Postby oldyangtaijiquan » Sun May 29, 2005 1:45 am

Are the “The Muscle-Tendon Change” (Yi Jin Jing) exercises done in a relaxed way (like Taijiquan) or in a tensed way (like Sanchin)? Some say that the exercises must be performed in a relaxed way, also others say that exists also a 'dynamic tension' version of the Yi Jin Jing.
Is the purpose of the Yi Jin Jing to build muscles?

Dynamic tension exercises are muscle/power building exercises and are greatly explained in two books: Pushing Yourself To Power by John Peterson and Dynamic Strength by Harry Wong.
oldyangtaijiquan
Forum Newbie

Postby Tosh » Sun May 29, 2005 2:55 am

I don't think you're supposed to tense, but by holding Your body in a certain position there are some muscles that are tensed, you shouldn't tense unnessacery in other area's that can be relaxed.
By tensing certain muscels qi will build op in strong that local area, when you stop the posture the Qi that was build up wil flow through your body.
Tosh
Forum Contributor

Postby Dvivid » Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:45 am

We practice it this way:

Calm and relaxed before entering the posture, then as you move into the posture, exhale and slowly tense up, and hold the posture with dynamic tension - this stagnates the Qi and allows it to be trapped in the area you are tensing. Then relax slowly to the maximum while inhaling and start over.

Dr Yang is filming a "Muscle/Tendon Changing for Martial Artists" DVD (sometime) - DS edit.
Last edited by Dvivid on Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Postby Lohan » Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:24 pm

I practice/teach a different style of Kung Fu and we practice our muscle/tendon change excercises the way david posted above. The principal as i understand it is also the same; that by tensing the muscles you cause a state of 'trapped' chi in your body. As you later relax, the tensed, built up chi flows more freely and with more vigor and speed for a limited period of time after practice. I have found these excercises great as a precursor to standing meditation and qigong.
Enlightenment is eating an orange.
Lohan
Forum Contributor

Postby darth_freak » Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:35 am

is there a big difference between Yi Jin Jing and the white crane hard qigong?
"Turn your butt!"
Master Yang.

Xavier
darth_freak
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby David Grantham » Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:25 am

the Theory is the same for the Crane HArd style Qigong. Tensing as you complete the movement. The idea is to trap and build the Qi up in the extremities so it will eventually make its way back inside. Remember hard to soft, external to internal.and of course visa versa.
See the world and seek the truth!
Never say I cant, always believe I will.
David Grantham
Forum Addict

Postby iceman7 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:41 am

whats the difference between baduajin and yi jin jing.....which is better among the two...tnx.:)
Peace!!!:)
iceman7
Forum User

Postby joeblast » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:47 am

apples and oranges, iceman :)

I learned 8 dragon palm yi jin jing a couple months ago...good stuff!
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Postby iceman7 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:49 am

ey sir....can u elaborate further? tnx....:)
Peace!!!:)
iceman7
Forum User

Postby Dvivid » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:42 am

Iceman - neither is "better."

For general health and vitality, practice the ba duan jin (8 Brocades). It is layperson qigong. Anyone can practice it, following along with the movements without knowing any theory, and enjoy the health benefits.

Yi Jin Jing is more advanced and should not be practiced without a teacher, and without strong understanding of qigong theory.
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Return to Qigong / Chi Kung