Speed of practicing 8 pieces of brocade

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Speed of practicing 8 pieces of brocade

Postby Sascha » Sun May 22, 2005 1:29 am

Hello

I've read the book, watched the DVD and listened to the companion music CD and there seems to be a discrepancy in the time it takes to do the set of 24 (16 for piece 6 and 7) movements.

In general, the suggestion is (in book and CD) that it takes about 20 minutes to complete the full 8 pieces.

Looking at the DVD demonstration by Dr Yang, he takes 20 minutes to do just 4 repetetions of each piece. If I extrapolate this time by multiplying this by a factor of, say, 5 (to sorta allow for pieces 6 and 7 only being 16 repetitions) then I end up with 100 minutes (1 hr and 4 mins) of practice. While this would no doubt be highly beneficial it also seems very long and inconsistent with book and companion music CD.

Equally, it seems very fast to do the full set of 24 (16) repetitions within 20 minutes.

Can a person experienced with Ba Duan Jin please clarify this for me (and perhaps others) by suggesting the approximately correct amount of time one should take to correctly do the full suggested repetitions of the 8 pieces of brocade.
Perhaps you could also shed some light on the apparent descrepancy highlighted above..

Thank you for very much your help.

Regards

Sascha
Sascha
Forum User

Postby DOM » Sun May 22, 2005 7:19 pm

I do not do this set but I do others including the 4 seasons chi gung that was adabted from the 8 pieces of brocade.I would not be so hung up on how long it takes you.It is much more important to focuse on how correct you do the forms and to know for what purpose they are for.Just like Tai Chi Chaun or other chigung sets.The time it takes is just a general guid.Most programs for improving your heath should take at least 20 minuts, or else they are not helping you much to improve your fitness leval.But for some peaple depending on there health 20 minuts mite be to much,so they should start with even less time and work there way up.In general the time it takes should depend on your breathing,and fitness leval.As you progress and become more fit, your ability to control and slow down your breathing will increase and the amount of time it takes you should also increase.If it fits into your schedule.The slower you go the more deep and internal it will become.Keep studing Dr.yangs material and keep practicing and in time you will get the right feeling and become comfortable with your practice.Good luck
DOM
Forum ÜberGuru

Thank you

Postby Sascha » Mon May 23, 2005 10:38 pm

Thank you very much DOM

What you are saying makes sense and is of great help.

Regards

Sascha
Sascha
Forum User

Postby Dvivid » Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:06 am

The audio CD is actually not a true 'companion' to Dr Yang's 8 Brocades. It is just a title from Taiwan that we distribute, which can be used along with a 20 minute version of the practice, as demonstrated by Master Yang on the DVD - 4 reps each, or so.

Master Yang of course, mentions that the classics say to do the added repetitions, and he recommends that we devote that amount of time to the training for a more authentic, traditional practice.

However, 20 minutes is a standard length to start, and is beneficial if thats all the time you have.

We only filmed 4 or 5 repetitions because it is meant to be and Instructional video, and for beginners, not a true 'follow-along' for more advanced people with LOTS of free time on their hands to practice for 100+ minutes.

Thanks, good insight,

David
YMAA Video Director
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Thank you very much kind Sir

Postby Sascha » Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:01 am

Thank you for this explanation David.

It very much furthers my understanding of this practice.

Many regards

Sascha
Sascha
Forum User

Postby kai_taimsalu » Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:24 am

Hello DOM,

DOM wrote:I do not do this set but I do others including the 4 seasons chi gung that was adabted from the 8 pieces of brocade.

I am doing the 8 pieces of brocade and am interested in the 4 seasons, could you please be so kind and give me some pointers (web or else) as to where I can find more info on it?

Many thanks in advance,
Kai
kai_taimsalu
Forum Contributor

Postby Dvivid » Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:30 am

Dr. Yang's 4 Seasons Qigong DVD has been filmed and will be released on DVD within 2 years. Thanks.
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Postby kpinkert » Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:11 pm

The "two hands hold the feet to strengthen the kidneys and waist" take the most time for me. 12 sets of this one takes me about 15 minutes. 24 sets takes about 30 minutes. A full set of 24 for each piece (including 6 & 7) takes me 1 hour. I did 24 sets for about 6 months each morning. Then I learned about stake standing.... :D

Now, I only do 12 sets of each piece in the morning which takes around 30 minutes. I follow that with about 20 minutes of standing and 10 to 15 minutes of moving qigong.

Kevin
kpinkert
Forum User

Postby kai_taimsalu » Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:12 pm

Dvivid wrote:Dr. Yang's 4 Seasons Qigong DVD has been filmed and will be released on DVD within 2 years. Thanks.

Within 2 YEARS... do you meen months?

Kind regards,
Kai
kai_taimsalu
Forum Contributor

Postby scramasax57 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 5:20 pm

hey, they've got a huge backlog. if you don't feel like waiting so long, consider donating time, money, or both.
aka eric hinds, 2nd stripe
n. andover, ma branch
yang's martial arts association

changchuan, baihe, and xingyi
scramasax57
Forum DemiGod

Postby DOM » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:23 pm

I beleave the set is in his classical taichi dvd and book,pushhands one, the book the essencse of taichi chi gung and most likley in the companion vidio,I am not sure,I do not have that one.I am sure it is in a few others as well,like his athritis vidio.oh I am preaty sure it is also on the white crane qigung dvd as well.
DOM
Forum ÜberGuru

Return to Qigong / Chi Kung