abdominal discomfort

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

abdominal discomfort

Postby andy » Tue May 17, 2005 6:57 am

I have been practising the first section of Taiji Qigong Primary Set from Dr Yang's DVD for several months twice a day. Generally I feel more calm and have more energy. However in the last few weeks I have noticed abdominal discomfort around my sternum and more generally and have been getting mild acid stomach/indigestion. Stopping the Qigong for a few days makes this go away. Otherwise I'm in good health and feel great.
Am I doing something wrong? - I don't really want to give this up! I think I might be overworking my abdominal muscles/diaphragm.

Andy
andy
Forum Newbie

Postby darth_freak » Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:53 pm

could be. you may want to massage your plexus when you feel tensions, try to relax etc. I'm not the best to answer here...I hope there'll be more replies
"Turn your butt!"
Master Yang.

Xavier
darth_freak
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby Dvivid » Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:50 am

Are you doing Embryonic breathing? Reversed Abdominal breathing? Are you really forcing the diaphragm when you breathe to pull and push the lungs? Breathing should be very gentle.

Sometimes when I really "bend the bows", or flex the chest and spine during practice, they can get overstimulated, and unless you let them rest they will hurt a bit.

HMmm but the stomach acid thing is a mystery. Do you eat well?

Are you circulating Qi in the fire path?

Maybe you have some Qi blockage at your solar plexus, which is beyond my experience to help with.

Many questions, few answers.

Usually, only you can really feel whats going on with your body, and really find a solution to physical problems.

Good luck
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Postby darth_freak » Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:54 am

I read in the Roots of Qigong that it could happen (not about the acid) and so you've had to massage the solar plexus in circle (clockwise) and then try to spread the tension from the plexus to the sides (what's the name of the bones?)
"Turn your butt!"
Master Yang.

Xavier
darth_freak
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby andy » Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:03 am

Thanks for your responses. This has eased a bit especially when I consciously keep the breathing very gentle. The plexus massaging also helps a little. Actually it coincides with general back stiffness around the same area.

On the positive side all the neck stiffness, tension headaches/body ache and other stress symtoms I used to get before Qigong have dissappeared. It's almost as if a bit of that stress has been displaced downwards!

Can anyone advise on whether doing the primary qigong set from the traditional Yang style DVD is the best thing to keep doing or should I be doing something else. I practise about half hour in the morning and half hour before bed. I've just bought the Roots of Qigong book.javascript:emoticon(':D')
andy
Forum Newbie

Return to Qigong / Chi Kung