Sung breathing versus Bruce Frantzis Water Method

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Sung breathing versus Bruce Frantzis Water Method

Postby PeterL » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:23 am

Hello!

Maybe both methods have something in common, but which technique would you recommend for beginner and what are the differences?
PeterL
Forum User

Re: Sung breathing versus Bruce Frantzis Water Method

Postby joeblast » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:18 am

Building sensitivity is a gradual process; there are various body types, personalities, and methods. Investigate both and ask yourself the pros and cons of each - ultimately we are the arbiter of our reality. Different approaches will work better with different people.

You will get good results with either so long as you train sincerely.

imho - bk's water method has better energy center etc oriented properties. but 'sung' in breathing is hugely important, also. If there's a particular 'sung method' I dont know of it by name, but have experience with a couple different methods of applying the concept. There may be a particular sequence to it, there was with one of them I learned . At the same time, BK's water method also has sequence to it - so unless one is familiar with both sequences, it is tough to give a thorough assessment.

That said...Dr Yang's fundamentals, lots and lots to learn and experience there. His embryonic breathing book should honestly be on the bookshelf of any meditator, its that good ;)
Even in mildly complex systems, any outcome is the wrong thing to target, with the process being where the focus should be.
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Postby PeterL » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:10 am

Hi Joe,

thanks for your answer. Yes I agree that both method if really mastered will bring excellent results.

Can't remember to have read Sung-breathing or something similar in Embrionic breathing from Dr Yang. But I guess I should reread it again. Last time was 8 years ago.
PeterL
Forum User

Postby joeblast » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:01 am

I didnt train BK's stuff very deeply because I already had my own methods by the time I got much into his stuff, so I've taken bits and pieces. But those breathing CDs made me hyperventilate if I tried to follow them :lol: an acquaintance tried getting me to go to his longevity breathing seminar in crete a few years ago, but man, 5 thousand bucks? puh. train and investigate, you dont need to pay exorbitant sums of money to learn the goods. you just have to be responsible and diligent if you're basically going to be your own master.
Even in mildly complex systems, any outcome is the wrong thing to target, with the process being where the focus should be.
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Postby PeterL » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:56 am

Well I would never give so much money to a "master", because whatever their secret is, someone else will expose it on the world wide web ... this are different times in which we live now. It's not that I have no respect, but ... I have no respect for this kind of cult or sect type of training. I mean if I try to learn something like art, painting for example, there are so many teachers out there glad to teach you for nothing and they are humble people too. But if someone got the luck to learn a ancient art and then they "sell" it for 5000 dollars ... something wrong, reaaaally wrong.

When I read Damien Mitchell's books I was so glad to have found someone who just explains everything in so simple terms and he gets really deep into the art. He is a signal example for every so called "master". One book and you learn everything on the topic. But other "masters" write a book with only 2% of useful information, and the rest is about whatever they have achieved (I don't care) and how difficult it was to become a scholar of this or that old ancient master ... then they refer to other books or DVDs or seminars instead of just telling you the essence of the art.

Fortunately getting information now is much easier than 20 years ago.
PeterL
Forum User

Postby joeblast » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:49 am

One thing to keep in mind is that when producing material, a good amount of effort has to go into making the presentation coherent. I dont have the stomach to write a book, I'll tell you that much! So referring to other work, if done right, is a useful tool the author can use to keep the subject matter streamlined, touch on some deeper aspects and provide further reference for the reader, but, moving along with the book content...

Good to consider what the scope of the material is when making those critiques, but one other thing, there is a lot to be said for the basic fundamentals, which is one thing I like about how the ymaa stuff is presented. Most people dont practice them to their full extent and dont realize the full benefit of the basic things, that provide stronger foundation for the additional things to practice. (Which get practiced in between fundamentals, just about.)

Its all in the strength of your will and intent, the diligence of application, the sharpness and longevity of focus - apply those concepts to fundamental processes and make those fundamentals an integral part of your life, and then one begins to see fruit from the effort. The hard part is the diligence and time on the fundamentals, but once you see results manifest, its somethin'. Those results, like any other dynamic, can be lost, so part of training is learning how to keep that all going.

Dr Yang's approach is less directed than BK's, he lays out the fundamental concepts and its up to you to grasp them and put them to practice. Not that there isnt merit to bk's approach, it does wind up being a matter of personal preference and the ability/application of the individual, as to 'how far' either will get you ;)
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Return to Qigong / Chi Kung