Energy flow while doing taiji or during sudden emotions

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Energy flow while doing taiji or during sudden emotions

Postby susu » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:58 am

Hey there

I'm trying to complete the small circulation. Practicing around 3 times a week for one hour more or less each time. I love doing it because the feelings are different each time and I like to experience and analyze them. I still didn't achieve the complete circle, energy gets stuck on my 3rd eye and I don't know how to get it down to the palate to the tip of the tongue. But I'm on it. I'm sure I'll find out some day.

Now I have this problem, that sometimes when I'm doing my 24 form very slowly, the energy rushes up my spine (like when I'm practicing small circulation) and then gets stuck on my 3rd eye or my neck. This also happens for example, when I have sudden outbursts of emotions, like crying or listening to perfect music (goose bump perfect music;-))!

I'm not sure if I just should let it happen (maybe it opens the way from the 3rd eye to the palate...) or if I have to prevent it by controlling it (how?). Normally I start guiding the energy and try to bring it down, like when I'm practicing small circulation. The other question is, sometimes I'm not in the appropriate situation to start meditating and bring the energy back to the lower dan tian when it happens...., is it essential to get rid of the stuck energy immediately?

I notice, that when it happens I sweat a lot and after I feel a little dizzy and sometimes I get light headache.

Can someone give me some advice. Thanks in advance.
Susu
susu
Forum Regular

Re: Energy flow while doing taiji or during sudden emotions

Postby joeblast » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:51 pm

Well, the next "note" along the MCO is the heart - followed by solar plexus, yinjiao, then returning to the huiyin. If you sense 'stuck' at third eye, move past it, dont keep the focus there, remember Yi follows qi. If you cant settle it by continuing the orbit, or bringing awareness to the lower dantien, then perhaps you are doing something incorrectly that is causing the energy to stay there. Pulling down the heavens is a good exercise to descend energy. Make sure your throat is relaxed, if you pay attention you can feel the qi exchange at the tip of the tongue, when the back of the tongue and throat are nice and relaxed it allows the qi to flow downard with less resistance.

One other significant point I'd like to make is that attaining a very significant stillness should always be included here. You should attain a certain amount before beginning a practice that moves energy, and when done moving energy, return to a state of utter and complete stillness so that the energy cultivated may be ingrained as well as possible.

If when doing tj form it gets stuck, be mindful of posture, make sure jade pillow area is not closed front or back (i.e. tilted), always keep the tongue on the palette, and sink the qi. So if you're into bagua also, downward sinking palm ding shr is great for sinking qi also.

Generally speaking, the sooner an imbalance is addressed, the better. We eventually want to cultivate the meditative mindset to all times, so "appropriate situation" is a self created mind-barrier. Establish the habit of being able to smile and settle into a calm equanimity well and you will be able to carry that forth into the rest of your life better. We cultivate certain patterns of signal to add to other known signal and noise. So by cultivating we enhance the desired signal and attenuate the noise :mrgreen:
Even in mildly complex systems, any outcome is the wrong thing to target, with the process being where the focus should be.
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Postby susu » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:51 pm

Thank you for replying!
When I'm practicing small circulation I'm always in meditative state. I'm calm and starting the fire for about 10 to 15 minutes until it is really warm and then I lead the qi along the orbit and I just keep leading it through the orbit. Sometimes I feel it going down along the solar plexus but not very strong (palate and tongue and throat I don't feel). All the other stages when passing yinjiao, down to huyin and up through the coccyx and mingmen and up the spine and until neck, all that way I feel the energy very strong, sometimes hot or sometimes tingling, sometimes like a very strong pressure (mostly when going up from coccyx to mingmen). On the head again I don't feel much, more like an uncomfortable pressure on certain cavities. I stop when I'm feeling it is getting to "heady", because I can't get the energy down anymore and the pressure is getting really uncomfortable on the 3rd eye. Then I clear all the stuck energy and bring everything back to the lower dantian and I breath at least 5 minutes more with focus to lower dantian.

The thing that happens while doing taiji is not deliberately. It just happens and I can't control it. So I'm not sure if I should let it happen or if I have to control it. And if so, how do I prevent it.

First I had the problem when I was doing my form very slowly, that I got like an energy rush stuck in my chest and I almost couldn't breath anymore and I started hyperventilating and now the energy rushes just without permission along the MCO...and gets stuck on my head!

I'm under the impression that my energy is a perfect reflection of my personality;-)!
susu
Forum Regular

Postby yeniseri » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:39 am

I cannot stress this enough that one has to have the correct instruction of a teacher!
If you want to make tea, you cannot just boil water, put the tea bag in and 2 minutes later the tea is made. The water has to be 'hot' enough, the utensil has to be able to "carry the heat" and the bag has to sink to an appropriate level (strength of tea and type) for a well prepared product. Using the generic daoyin approach, things take time. There are things that can be changed (affected by energy flow) and things that cannot outwardly change but it MAY be small enough to change some subtle aspect of ones life.

Whatever you do, make sure there is a proper shougong (ending routine) as this is paramount for better process 8)
yeniseri
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby joeblast » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:42 pm

another thing, dont be too attached to phenomena. there's 10,000 different ways energy will manifest and do this or that, and if your mind is tranquil then you wont be worrying about what to do when energy doesnt flow perfectly smoothly, you just do it, settle it, not perturbed by the event having taken place. in such a regard you can further an energy block if you freak out about it.

I've never had problems with the mco, although...I felt the way it is usually taught is too contrived, I dont like the idea of faking it to you make it, I like to get the fundamentals in order and let phenomena manifest from it naturally. the way I practice it, well...I've shared it with a few people, I suppose if there is interest here I can make a thread on it.
Even in mildly complex systems, any outcome is the wrong thing to target, with the process being where the focus should be.
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Postby susu » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:55 pm

I agree that it is essential to have instructions from a good teacher. I have a very experienced and good teacher and I can ask him everything. The problem is that I WANT to know everything;-) and he is just not available 24/7..;-). And sometimes I feel like I have to give him a rest from my never ending questions, so I came here.

Also I find it quite difficult to talk about my very inner feelings with another person (a man) and specially between 2 lessons with more people around. Here in this forum I can ask without feeling uncomfortable.

I have any time in the world to learn how to guide my energy. I love doing it and I'm not scared to try and making new experiences; mostly I'm marveling about what my body and my mind are able to do. Like a child that sees everything for the first time.

Thank you very much for replying
susu
Forum Regular

Postby Dvivid » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:27 am

Susu - how old are you? Im going to guess you're a somewhat young guy.

Spontaneous movement of Qi is considered a good thing. But, if that is happening, you need to start working seriously on learning to relax much more, and neutralize your emotions.

It is normal for sensitive people like yourself to feel strong pressure/energy in the third eye. You have to train yourself to NOT put your mind there when it happens. Touch your tongue to the roof of the mouth, just behind your two front teeth. The intention of doing this will eventually help lead the Qi down into the conceptual vessel.

The Yi leads the Qi. Your intention leads your energy. So, when Qi is 'stuck' in the 3rd eye. You mind needs to be 100% on the tip of the tongue, and nowhere else. once you feel it happen, you can then stop putting the mind in the tongue, and it will happen naturally. it probably already is, but your mind is too active for much circulation to happen.

And, its important that you transition in your practice away from 'thinking' and into pure 'feeling'. When you're thinking, the brain cells are activated and energized, and they consume much more oxygen and energy than other cells in the body. When you relax into deep meditation, that energy settles in the head into the centerline, the area of the pituitary and pineal gland, and the limbic system. When you can stop thinking, and allow the Qi to move naturally, it will complete the small circulation.
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Postby susu » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:35 pm

Thank you for you answer! I might be older than you ;-) ! I'm a mother of 4 kids and I'm 41! But I'm "young" at training taiji and qigong and english isn't my native language..., haha! It is somehow strange, everything (the forms and the energy ect.) came so easy to me and now I have to deal with all the new feelings. Starting with tj and qg a year ago was like finding a piece of my life I didn't know I was missing.

I talked to my teacher today and he said to me, that when doing taiji it is a good thing that the energy goes up the spine, it can be released into the arms for more power when pushing or hitting! So next time I'll try to get the energy into my arms.
susu
Forum Regular

Postby Dvivid » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:20 am

I see, thanks.

As far as "try to get the energy in your arms", there are a couple things you should know. the structure of peng, where your sink the chest and arc the back, opens that circulation from the governing vessel up the back, down the arms.

And, to lead qi into the arms, the mind needs to not be thinking about that feeling in your back. the mind should be focused at least a foot beyond the palms of the hands, to lead the qi through the arms, and and into your technique.
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Postby joeblast » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:46 am

another good one to develop the arm channels is to use a heat source and do laogung breathing with it. after some sensitivity you can sip up the heat through the laogung, since that part is pericardium channel it indirectly warms the heart and will also spread heat along the body by emanating out the corresponding shu point on the back.
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Postby susu » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:53 am

Thank you for detailed instructions! I wish you all a very nice weekend. Thanks so much!
susu
Forum Regular

Return to Qigong / Chi Kung