My school doing 8 Pieces...

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

My school doing 8 Pieces...

Postby nitsuj » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:06 pm

Here is a clip of my school doing a demo of Baduanjin at an event in Cupertino, CA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-ssNSGBfZE

I'm the guy in the back, right corner.

Our sifu is Justin Eggert. Our school is Wu Academy out of Santa Rosa, CA.

I just thought I would share... please note the differences and similarities to the way it is performed on Dr. Yang's 8 Pieces DVD...
nitsuj
Forum Addict

Re: My school doing 8 Pieces...

Postby nitsuj » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:07 pm

BTW, the music was supposedly composed specifically for Bauduanjin...
nitsuj
Forum Addict

Postby pete5770 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:52 pm

Nice to have a face to people.
pete5770
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby nitsuj » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:37 pm

Yeah, I'm pretty glad I have a face... :mrgreen:

This was my second group demo. The first was a short portion of Chen style Lao Jia Yi Lu for a Chinese New Year event here in Santa Rosa.

The thing that I dislike about group demo, is there needs to be a greater amount of awareness of your surroundings, then with solo demo, or solo practice. Synchronization with others, at least for me, requires a lot of attention.

The funny thing that I noticed at this event, was that a lot the big-wig qigong fellas visiting from China were all out back smoking cigs after the event!
nitsuj
Forum Addict

Postby pete5770 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:04 pm

nitsuj wrote:The funny thing that I noticed at this event, was that a lot the big-wig qigong fellas visiting from China were all out back smoking cigs after the event!

That's how Qigong gets its "inner fire". Or maybe they were able to sneak a few good Cuban cigars part customs. It's all about choices. Do Qigong? - smoke a Cuban? - do Qigong? - smoke a....?
pete5770
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby joeblast » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:22 pm

:lol: well, sometimes when its more culturally accepted you'll get "serious" people still smoking, but a habit of it requires you to ignore certain realities if one is still calling himself 'serious,' even if to oneself

watch uncle, to the well drseed man's 7. great rooted stance :)
Even in mildly complex systems, any outcome is the wrong thing to target, with the process being where the focus should be.
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Postby Dvivid » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:44 am

Hi Nitsuj.

Some unsolicited advice. I realize this is an entirely different version of 'eight brocades".

But, in the common movements, a couple suggestions. In posture #1, its very important that you lift the heels off the floor. The purpose of that exercise is you lead Qi to the four gates (palms and soles of feet), not just the hands.

In #2, the wrist should not be perpendicular to your arm. #2 serves several purposes; a. it teaches you to lead the qi, through the arrow hand, by taking 'aim' on a target outside the body. b. the arrow hand should be the secret sword hand form, index and middle finger side by side. It is a powerful way to emit and absorb qi.
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Postby nitsuj » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:03 pm

Thanks for the input...

This is the standardized form according to the Chinese Health Qigong Association.

Here is a link to their website:

http://jsqg.sport.org.cn/en/index.html
nitsuj
Forum Addict

Postby Dvivid » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:20 am

Ba Duan Jin have existed for over 1,000 and they were passed down in an oral tradition in the form of poems. Of course, passing from one person to the next has resulted in many many variations of the forms. And some modernizations are actually improvements. But reading those original poems, which fortunately are preserved, gives us a clue about the intention of the exercise, and therefore correct posture. I share this only to be helpful.

#1:
“Double hands hold up the heavens to regulate the Sanjiao, the triple-burner.
Sanjiao passes qi freely and smoothly, illnesses disappear.
Reverse hands to face the sky and raise both arms.
Straighten your chest, straighten your waist and swing to both sides.
Stand upright and be steady.
Practice long, the body becomes strong, and you will feel happy.”

Its true, this one says nothing about lifting the heels. But the sanyinjiao is linked not only to the hands, but the feet as well. I think this one could go either way, but there is more benefit to lifting the heels, physically, mentally, and energetically, so why not?

#2:
“Left and right bend the bow, like shooting a hawk,
two arms strong and firm to strengthen kidneys and waist.
Bend the elbow horizontal to the shoulder, your mind trying hard to pull.
Hand arrow aims at the target. Use the eyes to stare.
Left and right shoot for twenty-four.
Ride the horse and squat down to increase efficiency.”

Hand arrow aims at the target. Use the eyes to stare. This movement teaches us to use the YI (intention) to lead the QI (energy) by focusing on the target, which is a point outside of the body, thus leading Qi through the meridians to open your circulation, and exchange Qi with your surroundings. Locking the wrist I think is not correct for that one. That traps energy at your wrist, and basically makes it into a hard-style qigong exercise.

It is natural that forms will evolve when passed from person to person for 1,000 years!

Its like saying a sentence to someone, like "I don't like feeling woozy" and then they pass it on through 1000 people, and it ends up being "the dolphin is in the jacuzzi."
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

Dvivid
Forum God

Postby nitsuj » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:11 pm

Possible contradictions:

Piece one: "Reverse hands to face the sky and raise both arms". Fingers point in? If so, bring your arms, palms in the same position, so they are parallel with the ground. Notice the position of the wrist. Very similar to piece 2, as demonstrated.
If this position traps qi in the wrist, then how would this not be the case for piece 1? This becomes problematic when the goal of the piece is to lead the qi beyond the wrist... right?

Also, it is safe to say, based on the theory that this set was designed for soldiers, that 8 pieces was originally intended as a "hard" qigong.
I think that assuming that one version is a distorted view of the original is not right thinking. It would be like arguing that Yang style Taijiquan is "not"correct, or that even Xinjia is "wrong", because it deviates from the original forms of Chen style. BTW, this isn't a solicitation for an origins discussion!

I think either way you slice it, 8 pieces is an easy set that is hard to do wrong...
nitsuj
Forum Addict

Postby je murin » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:32 pm

I agree nitsuj.
I did the 2nd piece as an individual exercise before I've read Dr. Yangs books. I was doing it both index and middle fingers pointing upward on both hands. It worked for me to open circulation pretty well. Sometimes I prefer to do this exercise palm open on the straight arm and palm half-clenched on the bent one.
je murin
Forum Regular

Postby Monsoon » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:12 am

I too agree with that. In my practice I have the 'arrow hand' fingers pointing up (well the first finger, the rest are loosely curled) but the wrist is not strained, and the drawing hand is a loose fist. The original poems are not explicit in this, either in translation from the original nor in later interpretations. With no disrespect to Dvivid, what I am seeing here is an interpretation that is likely biased. Like many things in life, there is no absolutely right or wrong answer. Go with what works for you.

Monsoon
peace and harmony

monsoon
Monsoon
Forum Guru

Postby Dvivid » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:49 am

The interpretation is biased by whatever your personal goals are for practice. If you understand qigong theory, then you'll know the result of one position, or of a variation of the posture.

If the arrow hand points UP, you're constricting the circulation at the wrist. This develops the circulation in the arm, and 'traps' it there. This is muscle/tendon changing qigong theory. You'll develop the physical body. If that is your intention, then great!

But, it seems logical, or more likely to me, that an arrow hand would point forward, since arrows point forward. The purpose of the arrow hand form is to lead the qi beyond the fingers. it is a common qi healer technique. So, if your goal is to increase qi circulation through the channels all the way through the extremities and betond, this would be the posture to use. Both are valid. When you shoot an arrow, your mind is not in the arrow, or in the bow, your mind is in the target...that is the yi leading the qi.

Dvivid
Forum God

Postby Monsoon » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:48 pm

Of course, but the OP didn't sepcify his intention for doing these exercises in such a way, hence the confusion I guess! :D

My bad,

Monsoon
peace and harmony

monsoon
Monsoon
Forum Guru

Return to Qigong / Chi Kung