QiGong for Taiji Staff

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

QiGong for Taiji Staff

Postby swhitebull » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:58 pm

Dr Yang described several Qigong routines for the Taiji Sword in his book. He did not include any such routines in his Fundamental Taiji and Shaolin Staff dvds. Are there any qigong routines for the Staff as well? If so, where can they be found?

Regards

Scott
swhitebull
Forum User

Re: QiGong for Taiji Staff

Postby yeniseri » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:15 pm

swhitebull wrote:Dr Yang described several Qigong routines for the Taiji Sword in his book. He did not include any such routines in his Fundamental Taiji and Shaolin Staff dvds. Are there any qigong routines for the Staff as well? If so, where can they be found?

Regards

Scott

To my knowlwdge, qigong training for staff is a roundabout way to train staff.
Doing a staff form in itself is training the body with twisting/turning daoyin so it is complete in itself. Usually before staff is taught, one learns a basic preparatory changquan type routine as a starter!

Just a different way of training!
yeniseri
Forum ÜberGuru

Thank you for your quick reply

Postby swhitebull » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:41 pm

I kind of suspected as much, just like the qigong is hidden within the Yang long form, once one masters it. The long form IS the qigong.Looks like I have my work cut out for me at my advanced age of 57 to get supple again!

OTOH, having learned several forms of Baduan and YiJinJing, and slowing them down so that they take an 90 minutes every morning to work through, it's made a tremendous difference in how I feel.

now for something more vigorous with staff and saber training.

thanks again

Scott
swhitebull
Forum User

Taiji and Shaolin Staff Fundamentals DVD Follow-up

Postby swhitebull » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:35 pm

I was watching the dvd and had slowed it down considerably so that i can note the subtle differences in how the performers do their routines, like hand crossovers, footwork, etc.

I'm having a hard type discerning the difference between the Sliding Strike Downward Chop and the Sliding Strike Downward Press.

Ive slowed the DVD down to 25% speed, and both moves look the same to me. What am I missing?

thx

Scott
swhitebull
Forum User

Postby Dvivid » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:37 am

I think the movement is almost identical, but chopping is a strike, and pressing is a neutralization.

Your intention should be different during each.

During a strike, it is a quick burst of energy. During a neutralization you're deflecting another weapon, attaching, and adhering.

Good question. Its important to really understand each movement, especially if you wish to train these as qigong. Because remember, the Yi (intention) leads the Qi (energy). Your sense of enemy and your intention need to be focused while you slowly practice, coordinated with your breathing, in order to lead the qi efficiently and correctly.

http://ymaa.com/publishing/DVD/external ... c_training
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Postby Dvivid » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:39 am

I think the movement is almost identical, but chopping is a strike, and pressing is a neutralization.

Your intention should be different during each.

During a strike, it is a quick burst of energy. During a neutralization you're deflecting another weapon, attaching, and adhering.

Good question. Its important to really understand each movement, especially if you wish to train these as qigong. Because remember, the Yi (intention) leads the Qi (energy). Your sense of enemy and your intention need to be focused while you slowly practice, coordinated with your breathing, in order to lead the qi efficiently and correctly.

http://ymaa.com/publishing/DVD/external ... c_training
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Thank you

Postby swhitebull » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:33 pm

That really clarified for me, especially on how to apply my focus during the move. I noticed when I slowed the move down even further that the Press is also moves down then press down across the body, while the Down Chop is straight down.

thx again for the clarification

Scott
swhitebull
Forum User

Return to Qigong / Chi Kung