Qigong and getting sick

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Qigong and getting sick

Postby Maestromap » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:34 pm

Hello,

I have been doing the 8 sections at least once a day for about 2 months now. before that I have done them off and on far about a year. I was wondering if there was a connection between qigong and getting sick? the reason I ask is because I have been sick twice in a 6 week period. Could this mean I am doing my qigong wrong? Granted I have noticed I get to feeling better far quicker than I used to. (I had a sore throat, cough, and headache and was back at school in a day and was felt 100% in about 3 days). Can someone enlighten me?

oh it might be worth mentioning that I am a student in a public school.(you know how much of a field day germs have in schools :lol: )

Thanks,
Michael
Maestromap
Forum Contributor

Postby Dvivid » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:22 am

Of course, "germs" and viruses are the culprit. Wash your hands often, and drink a lot of water especially this time of year to keep the sinuses hydrated.

In the Fall and Winter, you can raise your immune response by focusing on exhaling longer than you inhale. If you're familiar with HA-sound breathing, this can make it even more effective.

Exhale slowly with a hot breath, making the HA sound, as if you were going to fog up a window. But, keep the mouth closed, and try to slightly constrain your exhalation at the base of the throat.

This slow, warm exhalation will warm the body and increase the wei qi, guardian qi, which is directly related to your immune response.

Keep practicing qigong regularly. In my experience, you will stop getting sick after a couple years.
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Postby Maestromap » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:23 pm

Thanks for the advice.

How long should I practice this breathing? and is it OK to continue my practice while I'm sick?
Maestromap
Forum Contributor

Postby joeblast » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:59 pm

How long depends on one's individual level of accomplishment and also how it is performed - you can perform it more forcefully to raise the wei chi more quickly and forcefully, or you can perform it a little less vigorously for a more subtle effect - which might be a good idea if you're already sick. I've found that both methods work well and have different application.
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Return to Qigong / Chi Kung