Can Dr. Yang's DVD be practiced without teacher

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Can Dr. Yang's DVD be practiced without teacher

Postby lilmitch » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:04 pm

Hello,

I have ordered most of the Dr. Yang's Qigong series on Breathing.

I have also ordered the 8 pieces of Brocade and I want to order/practice the Five Animals Play DVD.

In his book, which I recently read "The Root of Chinese Qigong", Dr. Yang warns of the potential dangers of qigong, and advises getting a good master teacher.

So my question is: I live in an area where nobody teaches Five Animals Play...would I be putting myself in danger (in regards to improper qi flow) by practicing with the DVD alone on my own? I'm pretty new to qigong, been practicing the taiji/qigong 18 movements for 1 year now.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Mike.
lilmitch
Forum Newbie

Postby Dvivid » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:05 am

Hello

These are all beginner level Qigong programs you have mentioned, and there is no danger practicing them. The DVDs are designed to be as detailed as possible exactly for this purpose.

Enjoy your practice,

David Silver
YMAA DVD Director
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Postby clairvoyager » Thu May 13, 2010 6:07 am

Learning martial arts is like learning a language.The DVD's and books are great reference and study material, but they are no substitute for a real teacher. I'd suggest you check some of Master Yang's seminars, if possible.

This does not mean that you cannot learn with books and DVD's only. You will learn. Or that you will hurt yourself. Using common sense, you won't hurt yourself. It is only that you can take so much more out of your practice with just a little tailored guidance, specially at the beginning.

I wouldn't bother about the qi too much unless you are into serious neidan practice (small circulation etc)
clairvoyager
Forum Contributor

Return to Qigong / Chi Kung