Qi Gong Psychosis

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Qi Gong Psychosis

Postby Urgeist » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:25 pm

Anyone know anything about "Qi Gong Psychosis" I know my frst chi kung instructor was very cautious teaching because of this. He said learning from an unexperienced instructor or simply a book was dangerous. At the same time, the chi kung community in my city seems a lot more relaxed but also ignorant about this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qi_gong#Psychosis

Has there been any research into this?
Urgeist
Forum Contributor

Postby yeniseri » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:36 pm

Though over exaggerated at times, it is valid in the realm of undiagnosed mental illness(es) made serious by certain qigong methodologies that encourage conjuring up the mental stream of images that present themselves during training.

Thes best strategy is that whatever images present themselves (arises)in qigong practice, just observe but do not entertain them. If they become too vivid, stop practicing.
Learning from a book or video should be complementary and not be the sole source of instruction.
yeniseri
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby joeblast » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:16 am

A lot of the 'dangers' simply arise when one doesnt know how far or how fast to progress - the problem with a book is, here you go, here's a ton of information...so unless there is clear indication of stages, there is that possibility. But its mostly for more esoteric things - if your methods and practices are of a gentle nature like if you're doing soft qigong, embryonic breathing...the dangers are quite low. Running qi through the brain if its not ready (or running too much, some practices are more powerful than others) is where the potential for adverse effects lies - nerves can handle x amount of current for whatever their state is, and gradual practice ensures that they can slowly be built up to withstand more over time as practice progresses. If you're consistently "running more current" than your system can handle, then there is potential to "burn some stuff up," so to speak.

At times some of the practices that I do can leave me feeling a little heady if I overdo 'em - but I know what that feeling is like and I keep track of what I've been doing - so when the occasion comes up that I might overdo it slightly, I'm sure to recognize that boundary and take a break from certain practices for a while, put a little more emphasis on a couple others that will balance the energies.
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Return to Qigong / Chi Kung