Iron Shirt Training

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Iron Shirt Training

Postby John the Monkey mind » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:30 am

I have over the last few months been practising the Hard Qigong from Dr Yang's crane book. I started this as I found although I had good timing and speed and knew a load lot moves I become unstuck due to a lack of Gong. I have found that encountering someone with good Gong my skill seemed silly. Many had trained in Karate before taking up kung fu and so had a firm base (some karate schools are still very good at foundations in the UK). I have enjoyed considerable improvements in my kung fu since.

I have however realise that almost by chance I have come to be practising the foundations of Iron Shirt (Shaolin). I have made reasonable progress in Iron Board Bridge Gong (I take it very slowly) and as Dr Yang states once this is completed I will have a firm foundation in Iron Shirt training. I should manage this in about a year or so more as progress has been good so far.
I also train the other Hard Qigong from the book and the 3 wars set from Tiger Crane combination as well as a lot of push ups.

What I would like to ask is advice on other training to supplement this and advice on the next stage I have read a bit on the subject by Wong Kiew Kit and Mantak Chia. I know Wing Lam has a DVD and he is highly respected.

Also what results can I expect to achieve and in what time frame? Has anyone got a cool Iron Shirt story?

I really am not interested in bending spears on my throat or other tricks. lol

:)
John the Monkey mind
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby joeblast » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:31 am

Grounding practices are very important for safety, often not emphasized enough. Whatever you're doing for shougong, closedown, take your time and do it thoroughly :D
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Postby John the Monkey mind » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:37 am

shougong?

I have been putting in a lot of effort in rooting. Is this what you mean by grounding?
I take things very slowly, this is more a ten year project, also I practice softer arts like Taiji in the hope of avoiding becoming stagnant.

John the Monkey mind
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby joeblast » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:11 am

closedown stuff/massage

grounding is similar to rooting but not the same - of course there's many interpretations, but for what I am speaking of, think electricity, the ground wire (3rd, green usually) will offload extra current to ground. you want to do the same with yourself in a manner of speaking, although not necessarily discharging that extra energy into the ground - make the ltt a proper 'ground' to 'store' what you are cultivating, its the best place to "put" the extra energy.
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Postby John the Monkey mind » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:50 am

So your talking about having a connection through the bubbling well so the Chi can bleed off and not hang around making problems?

I tend to use the exercise white crane softens its body as a closedown as this loosens everything up and should get stuff flowing again. I haven't started on massage yet but was planning to once I started conditioning myself through impact.

So far my precautions have mostly been aimed at staying lose and avoiding blockages. If this is not sufficient please let me know :) I don't wish to store up problems, I know short term its easy to get away with things but over many years small faults add up to big problems.

John the Monkey mind
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby joeblast » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:44 pm

nah, I was trying not to take the analogy too far in that direction...keep what you cultivate (but do not hoard.) practices establish patterns. you put energy into the pattern (regardless of where the energy is derived from ;) ) and when you're "shutting down the pattern" the best place to "put" the "cultivated energy" is in the dantien, otherwise, like water it will flow wherever it finds an outlet, which is most often just dissipation of some sort. firey practices (i.e. very yang) especially can have detrimental effects if not closed down properly. (also any upper dantien practices too, although the manifestations will likely be different.)

really my only intention was to stress a comprehensive closing of practices - it will help you in your cultivation. if you dont lose as much in between sessions, you're starting the subsequent session from a higher point.
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Postby John the Monkey mind » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:23 am

Thanks for the advice, I guess a bit of abdominal holding for a few minuets wile focusing on the dantien would be a good addition to my practice. :)
John the Monkey mind
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby joeblast » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:20 am

especially at the end ;) hehehe
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Return to Qigong / Chi Kung