Sitting 8 Pieces ?

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Sitting 8 Pieces ?

Postby nitsuj » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:45 pm

On the 8 Pieces DVD, I have a question regarding an apparent contradiction regarding the 5th piece of the sitting set. In the "Analysis" part we are told to hold our breath while we massage the kidneys. In the "Lectures" section, Dr. Yang says to begin exhaling when you first place your hands on the kidneys BEFORE doing massage. I am following Dr. Yang's instruction, but am wondering if anyone has any input on this conflicted instruction.
nitsuj
Forum Addict

Postby joeblast » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:09 pm

In the book he says massage while holding breath. It might have just been a discrepancy, english isnt his first language. I'll pop in the DVD to see sometime...but if you think about it, if you're leading qi through the palms, it will manifest a certain way with breath held, a certain other way if you are exhaling - in my experience the held breath is a more yang manifestation, and with the kidneys you always want to increase yang, its the only organ that its nearly impossibly to have an 'excess' condition with.
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Re:

Postby nitsuj » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:05 pm

Dr. Yang says, in the lectures section of DVD, that holding the breath while rubbing hands will trap the qi in the palms. He then says that by exhaling while you massage, the qi is then released into the kidney area. He goes on to say that while doing this, you should focus on the dan tian (imagine it is on fire) to draw the qi through the lower bak into the dan tian.
Anyone else have any input?
nitsuj
Forum Addict

Return to Qigong / Chi Kung