Did I trap Chi in my neck?

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Did I trap Chi in my neck?

Postby kudzu28 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:52 am

Hi to all,

I have been doing the Eight Pieces of Brocade for about a month and a half and I love it. This is the only Qigong that I have been practicing lately.

Friday night I got home kind of late and was a little hyper, having done my family's grocery shopping and my grandmother's. I had been in a hurry to get it all done and to get home finally. I just wanted to take a few minutes to wind down and start my weekend. I spent about 20 minutes on an old workout that is supposed to calm the nervous system, which it did. It has a lot of forward folds and slowly bending from the neck and forward folding the trunk, and back up again.

Usually at the end of my workouts, I do the following: scalp massage, ear massage, rubbing eyebrows, the eyes and the ridge under the eyes lightly with the middle knuckle of the index fingers. Then I move the index fingers in an outward direction from the sides of my nose to the temples. Next is TMJ massage (circular motions around the mouth and massaging the TMJ behind the ears. Then I pound lightly on the kidneys with thumbs and index fingers. Then I slap the outside, back, front and inside of the legs. Then I extend my arms straight in front of me, bounce for two minutes, go ragdoll limp then swing my arms and body from side to side, my arms light slapping my neck and the kidneys.

Sorry to be so long winded, but on Friday night, I skipped the usual end of my workout. I woke up at 4:00 a.m. with the worst soreness in my neck, going up the muscles in the back of my head. I also had a terrible headache. Did I trap the chi in my neck by doing all of those forward folds, and then not doing the usual end to my workout?

Yesterday morning, I did do the Eight Pieces of Brocade, and felt a little better, but the soreness in my neck, headache and lack of energy lasted all day. Thankfully, today it is gone! :lol:

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. You all are so knowledgeable and I appreciate your wisdom.

Thank You,
Holly
kudzu28
Forum User

Postby Dvivid » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:54 am

More simply put, you strained your neck. Sounds like you overdid it, or tried to stretch too quickly.

A longer, more gentle warm up, and increased repetition of neck movements will help relieve strained muscles and increase your range of motion in the neck to your full potential.
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Postby kudzu28 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:24 am

Thanks Dvivid
Guess I was just in too much of a hurry to wind down! :D

Holly
kudzu28
Forum User

Return to Qigong / Chi Kung