8 Pieces of Brocade/Closing the Gate

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

8 Pieces of Brocade/Closing the Gate

Postby jaymc » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:29 pm

When practicing the 8 Pieces of Brocade, should I be touching the tip of my tongue to the roof of my mouth? I don't see this noted in the book or DVD unless i missed it and i'm new to Qigong. Could someone please shed some light? I appreciate the help.
Jason
jaymc
Forum Newbie

Postby Moon Knight » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:53 pm

I don't think it's NECESSARY when you're first starting out, since you're going to be mostly relaxing/massaging the organs, and loosening up stagnant qi. However it does help, and you can eventually get more out of the practice if you do touch the tip of your tongue to the roof of your mouth.

In the beginning the main benefits will be that you will be able to keep your mouth and throat moistened, and you will have a much easier time collecting saliva to swallow (if you are doing the sitting set). Also it will be easier for the qi to descend from the third eye to the navel at the start of practice (before the first piece).

Eventually, as you become more relaxed overall, loosen stagnant qi, and balance it, you may start feeling the microcosmic orbit (again especially with the sitting set) spontaneously.
Moon Knight
Forum User

Re: 8 Pieces of Brocade/Closing the Gate

Postby DEADLI. » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:09 am

Hi J,
Personally i would say that you should have your tongue touching the roof of your mouth when you are doing any Qigong, as it it helps enhance the natural energy circulation. You will progress quicker, building and balancing your energy with your tongue on your pallet.
DEADLI.
Forum Addict

Postby Dvivid » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:50 am

Jay,

It isnt mentioned in the book because 8 Brocades / Ba Duan Jin is considered "layperson" qigong. No theory is taught. Just follow the movements and enjoy the benefits.

But, once you start to understand some qigong theory, you should realize that you can utilize those more sophisticated details into your practice, like always touching the tongue to the roof of the mouth... Always leading energy in and out through the five gates... Always using abdominal breathing...

not just during your hour of qigong, but all day, every day.
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Postby jaymc » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:20 pm

Thank you all very much. This is very helpful.

Jason
jaymc
Forum Newbie

Return to Qigong / Chi Kung