qigong and brain (head) injury

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

qigong and brain (head) injury

Postby taichigirl » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:45 pm

In reviewing a couple of Dr. Jwing Ming Yang's DVDs, which are amazing, I was curious to know if anyone is aware of any research related to qigong breathing techniques and its (positive) affect on brain (head) injury. Is any current research being conducted? I have read only one or two scientific papers on the subject.

Since we use so few of our brain cells (at present), and then when some of them are damaged through car, sporting or other types of accidents, could these techniques be used to regenerate or help retrain those damaged areas?
Are any of the brain injury associations using these techniques therapeutically?
I know that brain injury survivors are strongly encouraged to enrol in a taijiquan
program.

I look forward to reading your posts.
taichigirl
Forum User

Postby Josh Young » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:32 am

It is my understanding that the notion that we employ only a minimal part of our brain was a theory that is not based in fact. That we do actually use the majority of our brain is indicated by various brain function and field scans of activity, showing that the vast majority of the brain is employed, just never all at once. Rather in any individual brain function a specific part is used, however we do use it all.

Still animal studies have shown intelligence is unrelated to brain size.

Taiji causes increased neural connections, for people who have sustained trauma to the brain this can help restore functionality.

I am not aware of studies showing qigong to be capable of treating brain injury, but technically taijiquan forms are a type of qigong and so I believe there is enough evidence to support the idea that qigong is beneficial to individuals recovering from brain related trauma.
Josh Young
Forum DemiGod

use of the brain

Postby taichigirl » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:31 pm

Dear Josh:
Thank you for your thoughtful reply.

In one of the DVDs, Small Circulation, Dr. Yang refers to how Einstein only used 40% of his brain. That most only use 33% of our brain cells and that scientists recognize only 12% of its functions. Further, he says
- that the brain is the one place that consumes "electricity"
- that every brain cell consumes 12 x the oxygen that other cells do
- the oxygen uptake is proportionate to the qi produced in the body

Hence, to activate more brain cells, (or, what I am trying to hypothesize for those afflicted with head injury or brain injury, to re-train those cells or pathways that have been damaged or destroyed) one needs to lead more energy upwards to nourish it, to aid in rehabilitation and recovery.

It would only make sense, to me, that some research in qigong training with brain injury survivors, could prove truly significant and thus become a part of their rehabilitation program from the outset. Taijiquan has already proven to be beneficial but requires alot of dedication and memory work which, in the early stages (within 1-3 years of injury) might not be of interest to a brain injury survivor when that person might also have other physical injuries (to other parts of the body), emotional injury, or huge life changes to deal with.

I am wondering if Dr. Yang or any of this colleagues have ever pondered this kind of use for the breathing/meditation techniques.
taichigirl
Forum User

Postby Josh Young » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:54 am

The brain does consumer more O2 and calories than any other organ, however it does not consume electricity so much as generate it.

My understanding is that there was once a scientific consensus that we use a small portion of our brains, but that it has since been rejected because of the developments in brain scanning technology. We do use a small portion at any given time, in general, and this is what gave the impression that we only used a minor amount of it. However that we only use a small amount of it over all is just a modern myth.
Josh Young
Forum DemiGod

Postby Dvivid » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:26 am

All conjecture aside, as science is still in its infancy with understanding the brain, and more to the point of your question; Yes, qigong can help brain function and healing.

Intelligence and brain function in general are based on the density of the brain - the number of neural connections and the glial cells between them.

It was found that Einstein had 5 times the normal number of glial cells than the average person (similar to dolphin brains). He was born gifted of course, but the primary reason for this high number of glial cells is that he used his brain intensely, starting in his youth and throughout his entire life daily. Thinking deeply was the primary activity, and so his brain changed as a result.

This is exactly what we strive for in meditation. Any concentration, especially that on a new subject where we are learning something, such as mathematics, or practicing tai chi, will cause new neural connections and will generate glial cells.

So in the case of someone with trauma, they should spend many hours a day for a long time using the mind intensely to stimulate new growth. If that person can stand, they should do moving qigong and tai chi to also exercise those aspects of the brain, both left hand and right, with stepping, balance, slow shifting of weight, etc...

And of course, there is also specific qigong for leading Qi from the lower to the upper dan tian through the spine, but this has related dangers and should be done cautiously.
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

re training for the injured

Postby taichigirl » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:16 am

Thanks Dvivid and Josh:
My points were taken directly from Dr. Jang's DVD which is, of course, a few years old now. I know his research is ongoing so it would be interesting to hear how much he has updated since.
I agree with you Dvivid that those with head injury would benefit from the qigong and taiji practice, especially if they were taught the techniques soon after injury. The problem is that unless the medical community recognizes the benefits, through their own scientific research, this kind of rehab will not be introduced anytime soon. Unless the medical community gets some training in this area, then, again, it will be a long time coming. Unless a Master becomes interested in this area, and training those in that medical speciality, then, finally, it may never happen.
taichigirl
Forum User

Postby yeniseri » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:46 am

Even though at least 3 studies utilized taijiquan for brain injury, it can be extrapolated that qigong (at least some types) would have some benefit but it would depend on the degree of injury and what area of the brain was involved. Severity of injury/trauma would also be a factor in an outcome.

My analogy is that synaptic transmission would be like the cables one sees to transmit power over an electric grid i.e. normal transmission. If debris slows. stops, interrups transmission to said grid, power will flow accordingly or not at all. This would be comparable to lifestyle, dietary or injury (trauma) affecting the brain or nerve plexi leading to the brain or brain itself or even senile dementia or Alzheimers'.!

Taijiquan is surely one part of the equation but the other necessary parts per the medical professional is also good strategy according to the protocol for the specifc injury and severity thereof.
yeniseri
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby joeblast » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:03 am

haha, so in other words, take the word 'consensus' with a grain of sand - with respect to science one day's gospel is another's joke.
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Return to Qigong / Chi Kung