Qi and Tourette's syndrome

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Qi and Tourette's syndrome

Postby fuyoo » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:23 am

I am new to Qigong and want to know if doing Qigong can help with Tourette's syndrome
fuyoo
Forum Newbie

Postby joeblast » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:23 am

Potential? Perhaps. Solid concrete effects, quickly? Highly doubtful. It would depend what you're practicing - but anything where you cultivate focused concentration should be good. Not too up on the particulars of tourettes though.
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

tourette's

Postby fuyoo » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:24 pm

Tourette's is a nervous disorder. It's a chemical imbalance of the brain to put it simply. I should have been a little bit more specific with my question. I am new to Qigong and I have ordered the eight simple qigong exercises for health and was wandering if this would help? I'm not looking for quick results just long term effects.
fuyoo
Forum Newbie

Postby yeniseri » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:09 am

Because it is a "hyper" (excess) condition, I would do more quiescent type neigong exercise without too much visualization. Baduanjin is a good start along with the allopathic solution(s) per the medical profesional!
yeniseri
Forum ÜberGuru

Qi and Tourette's

Postby fuyoo » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:05 am

Thanks for the replies. I do need to be more still,but my mind runs a mile a minute with thoughts.
fuyoo
Forum Newbie

Postby joeblast » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:45 am

that's best combatted with breath. focus on the physical mechanisms of breath and that will do a pretty decent job of keeping your awareness focused. dont get perturbed by when thoughts do come up though, because they will whether you like it or not, just try not to further those thoughts. whenever you catch your thoughts wandering, just return to the breath - not a "darn it, there I go again..." - just return to breath and nothing else.

what I do when I am meditating for stillness or breath longevity is try and execute a 'perfect breath', each breath. that occupies enough of my mind that I suppose my brain feels less of an impulse for thought, and it gets better/easier with practice.

dont set some sort of a bar for yourself in this area, just accept where you are at wherever you are in your practice and work with the cards you've got in your hand at the moment.
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

tourette's

Postby fuyoo » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:41 pm

well put. I like the way you say it. Thanks again for your help. If you have any suggestions for books or dvd's,please let me know.
fuyoo
Forum Newbie

Postby joeblast » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:52 am

Anytime :) It depends what you're after - Dr Yang's Embryonic Breathing book covers many aspects of breath, imho should be on the shelf on any person who meditates. But if its more active stuff, 8 brocades is great to start with.
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Return to Qigong / Chi Kung