Qigong movement name

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Qigong movement name

Postby Polymorph » Sun May 31, 2009 6:55 pm

Hi,
I hope someone can help me. I'm looking for some information on a qiqong movement that is in one of my forms from a southern style of kung fu.
I'll try and describe it well.

The palm move infront of the belly facing up with the left palm over the right.(space of a few inches in between)
They raise up to chest level then the palms rotate to face down (left still on top)
The palms then press down to the belly before the form continues.

Qigong seems to be appear here and there throughout our forms.I've bought some DVD's on qigong hoping to find out what the qigong is in our style is for and what they do.
Thank you for any help!
Polymorph
Forum Newbie

Postby Dvivid » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:31 pm

Hi

That sounds like a basic first movement of many forms of kung fu, taijiquan, and qigong, often just named 'preparation'.

Depending on your style and your intention, it is either as simple as that, or there is more 'internal' detail to it.

Typically you're drawing qi inward toward the core of your body as you inhale and raise the arms, and then leading it down into the lower dan tian as you exhale, or out through the four gates if you're applying an application with the movement.
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Postby Polymorph » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:24 pm

Thanks for the reply. Yes as far as I know its for internal breathing, breathe in going up and out going down.
I think I've seen (but can't find anywhere now) the same kind of movement a qigong form but instead of one hand being over the other, they are inline finger tips facing each other).
Do you know why the left would be over the right? (maybe males do left over right, females right over left, read alot about sometimes women do things another way)
What the significance on hand over the other is vs. palms inline?, like inline with the shoulder while moving up and down)

Thank you.
Polymorph
Forum Newbie

Return to Qigong / Chi Kung