Deep Breathing and Lower Dan Tian Focus

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Deep Breathing and Lower Dan Tian Focus

Postby Moon Knight » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:38 pm

Since getting serious about qigong a month or two ago and committing myself to near daily practice (once or twice a week work gets in the way) I've noticed an increased awareness of my breathing throughout the day. Some of this is due to my own attention to it, and some of it seems to be occurring naturally. It's as if for much of the day I have a more rooted feeling due to this, and consequently I feel as if I exist more.

On the other hand, this has lead me to having an internal focus on my body and mind, with the world around me taking up a peripheral view in my mind's eye. I haven't really noticed this having a detrimental affect on my life, at least not yet. If anything it seems positive.

Everything I've read and/or watched says that Qi and spirit go where the mind's focus goes. If I am focusing on my lower dan tian, the fire there, and breathing into that area, am I stagnating my qi?

Also, I wonder if it's counterproductive since in some exercises the mind's focus is supposed to be on other areas of the body. Is it ok to have this central focus except when I am instructed to direct my mind to another energy center or if I feel as if that would be a natural extension of an exercise?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Moon Knight
Forum User

Postby lilman » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:59 am

Well from my experience, relaxation is key, make sure you stay relaxed. If your mind is on the dantien the qi will follow. If its at another point, the purpose is to generate qi. Then you must bring the qi back down at the end of practice.

That simple.

Remember, qi follows yi, so in theory intention builds qi. Bringing qi to the lower dantien generates and stores qi.

Here's a quick and simple exercise to store qi.

Relaxe, take in a deep breathe, at the pause between inhale and exhale, swallow your saliva down to your lower dantien. When it reaches there, exhale.

You should notice 2 things. One, the lower dantien should feel warm on exhale, 2 your exhale will be less than half the time and amount on exhale, even though they should be at the same force and pace.

Try 7 with swallowing, 7 without.
lilman
Forum Guru

Re: Deep Breathing and Lower Dan Tian Focus

Postby joeblast » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:33 am

Moon Knight wrote:Everything I've read and/or watched says that Qi and spirit go where the mind's focus goes. If I am focusing on my lower dan tian, the fire there, and breathing into that area, am I stagnating my qi?

Also, I wonder if it's counterproductive since in some exercises the mind's focus is supposed to be on other areas of the body. Is it ok to have this central focus except when I am instructed to direct my mind to another energy center or if I feel as if that would be a natural extension of an exercise?
when you focus on your dan tien while doing breath work, you're stoking the fire - that's probably one of the last places of focus that would ever cause any stagnation. just doing that and getting deep relaxing breaths will make many good things manifest in and of itself!

some exercises do some things, others do other things. do what you intend to for a session. if its part of another exercise, then...well, all the more reason to be well practiced on just dan tien breathing, because then it will be easier and more natural and will absolutely have a positive effect on your other practices - you wont have to use as much Yi on the whole process. ya know, the example of you can equate the entirety of your concentration to $1, each thing you are focusing on costs x amount, the more 'change' you have or the more split up each bit is, the more likely you are to perhaps drop some change...when you are practiced and have good muscle memory for the function you are performing, you can effectively relegate more and more to the subconscious - until you reach a state of complete clarity and tranquility of mind and you can basically just "sit back and enjoy" :lol:
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Return to Qigong / Chi Kung