8 Brocade and additional exercise

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

8 Brocade and additional exercise

Postby Joe Shaer » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:06 pm

Hello everyone,

I have recently purchased the 8 piece brocade and loving it! I also have another dvd by Jim Primmack that teaches cloud and earth hands qi gong. Is it okay, as a beginner, to do the cloud and earth hands before doing the 8 piece brocade? will this have any positive or negative effect on chi progress?

Also, I am thinking of lifting weights, does doing any qigong exercise have any affect on building muscle or vice versa?

As a side note, I heard that some people argue that the 8piece brocade is NOT really a qi gong exercise since it was originally practiced by shaolin monks as a training exercise for war? in any case, does the 8 piece brocade stimulate and build the qi?
Thanks for your time
Joe
Joe Shaer
Forum User

Postby Dvivid » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:32 am

Hi

Im not familiar with cloud and earth qigong, but it shouldn't be detrimental to practice that and the 8 Brocades.

The Eight Brocades are attributed to Marshall Yue Fei. He created it to build his soldiers health, physical strength, and especially, to raise up their Spirit.

It is considered 'layperson qigong' - because you don't need to understand any of the theory to receive benefit from practice. The standing Brocades will definitely build your Qi gradually, if you practice it few times a week correctly.

Lifting weights is fine, but you should harmonize it by learning to relax deeply into the joints, and find balance between your strength and flexibility.
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Postby Joe Shaer » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:33 am

Hello,
Thanks for your reply!

The cloud hands and earth hands qigong are very subtle movements with the arms to gradually feel the chi flow.

I practice the 8 piece twice a day; once in the morning and once in the evening with 8 repetitions for each piece. Is this considered too much? In weightlifting, there is such a thing as overtaining (lifting weights too frequently), can this overtraining happen with qigong? is there such a thing as too much practice?

Thanks
Joe
Joe Shaer
Forum User

Postby DEADLI. » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:39 am

Joe Shaer wrote: In weightlifting, there is such a thing as overtaining (lifting weights too frequently), can this overtraining happen with qigong? is there such a thing as too much practice?

Hi Joe,
it is very dangerous to overtrain hard qigong. You can develope a condition called 'San Gong' (energy dispersal), which can be fatal.
Master Yang always advises doing a soft qigong set right after a hard one if you have the time.

Ba Duan Jin (8 Pieces Brocade) is a medical qigong set, and except for the seventh piece, all the movements would be classified as soft. So you're in no danger doing the set twice a day.

I would also recommend you check out these other YMAA Medical Qigong DVDs

Understanding Qigong 4 - Four Seasons Qigong (SI JI GONG)
Five Animal Sports Qigong (WU QIN XI)

Shaolin White Crane Hard and Soft Qigong (not medical, but v. good)
DEADLI.
Forum Addict

Return to Qigong / Chi Kung