Pi gu - fasting

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Pi gu - fasting

Postby Dvivid » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:14 pm

Food is definitely a needed component for your body's energy for 99.9999% of the Earth's population.

Only very few people in recent times have attempted and achieved Pi gu in which they learn the trick of drawing in enough natural energy from other sources to sustain the body. I imagine that minerals and vitamins still need consideration. This is where the Heaven Qi and Earth Qi come into your practice.

Since this is a highly esoteric qigong practice, no studies have been done in the West that I am aware of, so very little conclusive evidence exists. However, I don't doubt it for a second. Ancient Buddhist documents describe the same process naturally occurring, without using any qigong technique, at higher levels of meditation practice.

I don't recommend this obviously without close direction by a qualified master.

A study done in China:
http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:zjGXIIkA1uUJ:hanlin.hit.bg/bigu_eng.htm+bigu+fasting&hl=en&start=1

From a book on the subject: "Theory of Pi Gu" Chapter
Modern Western theories can't explain Pi Gu. Since Pi Gu is an ancient Chinese practice and philosophy, we should go back to Chinese philosophy and combine it with modern knowledge to understand the theories behind this enduring approach to health maintenance.

In Traditional Chinese Medical Theory (TCM), when we eat food it is transformed into Chi, the vital energy that is stored within the body. No matter what kind of food is eaten, eventually all of it will produce a different kind of Chi and this Chi will then perform different functions within the body. In the universe, there are different types of Chi. But ultimately, no matter how many types of Chi there are in the universe, there are only two kinds of Chi: Yin Chi and Yang Chi.

When we practice Chi Gong, the state of Pi Gu can bring us to a higher level. Chi Gong is practiced so that Chi circulates better through the body. Pi Gu is another form of this practice. In ancient Chinese philosophy, we are told that we can eat Chi instead of food and as a result the body will become stronger. According to mystical legends, many people do not eat for a year and stay alive. In fact, this is possible. In daily life many Chi Gong practitioners can perform this task, not only the old monks and masters. The Chi that is to be consumed is taken from the universe, or it is already stored within the body.

This Chi is not something we can see, but rather something we can feel. It can be compared to the air that can sometimes be felt but never seen.

In daily life we need food to supply us with the required minerals and vitamins. This is a simple common sense approach to good health. However, this wisdom applies when we are in a "normal" state. If we are in a special condition such as the Chi Gong state, we do not need food to achieve a balanced healthy condition and a high energy state.

From the "Fasting" Chapter
Western fasting methods cannot be continued for long because they are not in any way united with Chi. How many people are able to fast one week without any food? But in the Pi Gu state people can last a week, a month, or sometimes a year. Pi Gu is the eastern way of fasting. It can be achieved either through Chi Gong practice or by treatment from a Chi Gong practitioner.

From the "Value of Pi Gu" Chapter
Given the preceding discussion, many people may confuse Pi Gu with simple fasting. Or they will believe Pi Gu is only for weight loss or to clean out the body. Of course it can help the body reduce weight and cleanse the system, but that is not the only purpose. The major purpose is to keep the body in the Chi Gong state so that the body will balance itself automatically.

From the "Going into the Pi Gu State" Chapter
Not ingesting or avoiding food does not mean that you have gone into the Pi Gu state. As we have seen, fasting and Pi Gu have very different feelings. The fasting aspect of Pi Gu relates to the cessation of eating only in a physical sense. However, we must understand the difference between fasting and Pi Gu. When we are really in the Pi Gu state we should not feel hungry while physically feeling more energetic. Another benefit is that the mind will relax and feel more at ease, allowing a better night's sleep.

From the "Full Pi Gu and Half Pi Gu" Chapter
In these modern times, we have so many nutritionists. We like to use a formula to figure out how many calories are needed for daily expenditure, or how many vitamins, magnesium, calcium, and any of the minerals our body needs. But a person in a Pi Gu state can be more energetic and healthier without eating anything, although this does not make sense to most nutritionists. If we follow modern nutritional theories, then Pi Gu is only a fairytale from ancient China. Yet if we face the facts, we can see many people in Pi Gu who do not eat anything for a long period of time. When we think about Pi Gu, we cannot understand or explain how the body gets nutrition from the Pi Gu state. So we should not tie up our mind by science.

From the "The Best Way for Weight Loss" Chapter
In Western philosophy, the major purpose of fasting is to clean out the body and lose weight. Because Pi Gu is so new and is associated with the consumption of food, this leads to confusion regarding the true purpose of Pi Gu. Pi Gu is not limited to the concept of weight loss. It can be related to religion, philosophy, Chi Gong, health, healing, and nutrition. If we only examine it in the context of weight loss, this can lead to a complete misunderstanding of its true value.
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Postby miliox » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:25 pm

Interesting, but I think this method could be only mantained for a short time and only in a very special conditions (may be almost all day under meditation state).
Chi is a source of energy, but all body functions need the presence of proteins, which came from aminoacids which can be only supplied by food. When you "spend" all your proteins you will need more food, Universal Chi can`t support your proteins requirements.
miliox
Forum Regular

Postby Dvivid » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:36 am

Yes, of course. For 99.999% of the population.

But that is what is so unique about the pi gu state. This is a rare and unusual practice, which goes against our normal understanding of human metabolism. That doesn't mean it isnt possible.

The concept is that your body's normal metabolic system changes from the usual process you described to being capable of transmuting energy into whatever the body needs, including protein. Kushi, the proponent of the macrobiotic diet, sometimes discusses transmutation within the body.

Biological transmutation, sometimes called the nuclido-biological reaction, is quite interesting.

The very nature of energy is transformation.

Sounds like sci fi, but is documented in Western scientific studies, and pi gu cases are noted in India, China, and Japan in both Zen/Chan meditation and Daoist/qigong society. Again, Im not recommending you experiment, Im just answering a question for someone from another thread.
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Postby joeblast » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:29 am

Funny, I was just having a conversation about this recently :)
Its just something you need to cultivate and develop in order to have happen efficiently. Dr Yang's embryonic breathing is a good start to it - mornings where I do certain practices I wont eat until lunchtime because the practices generate enough energy that you simply arent hungry. There's nothing really that mystical about this practice, just doing things to develop a certain result. Your body needs energy, whether its from the electrochemical energy converted from digestion, or building energy at...hm, pretty much the very same spot where the electrochemical energy emanates from! This is how masters can go a month in a cave with no food or water. A dude I know did 8 days once on a half glass of water, he said that some reverse electrolysis seems to happen at the pineal and the 'nectar' drips down the pallet, mixing with the saliva seems to 'recycle' water in a way. I think he was on a vegetarian diet at the time - my experience agrees, when the Fu organs are empty it is so much easier to tune into abdominal sensitivity.
Like anything, if this is something you want to train you have to start out with baby steps, eat qi for a meal, fast a day a week for a while perhaps, doing the practice while you fast so that your body is building the energy, and eventually you will be able to go for longer.
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Postby miliox » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:42 am

I think this is a very interesting topic, but I think also that it is very far from the real life where we have to work 8-10 hours/day... :lol:
Regards
miliox
Forum Regular

Postby lilman » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:14 am

It definitely is possible and not that difficult. My teacher knows the beggar qigong, once I learn it and know the facts I will further comment, but it is possible.
lilman
Forum Guru

Postby jedimind » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:17 pm

These sort of subjects considered 'esoteric' will become far more acceptable in the very near future as this part of the universe enters a different cycle.I think its inevitable the system will not hold up and we wont be working like we are now, its just a cycle and we have to go with it, too many people have neglected the planet,we all need to go back to a more natural way of life. The future is bright.
jedimind
Forum User

Return to Qigong / Chi Kung