Zhan Zhuang

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Zhan Zhuang

Postby internalfist » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:02 pm

Hello, I have been practicing Zhan Zhuang for about 2 months daily now.Im practcing out of Lam Kam Chuens book on Zhan Zhuang. I do about 45 minutes each morning after, and Ive noticed that I totally loose my appetite completely. Just like now, I woke up at 6 did zham zhuang. Its 3 now and I have had nothing to eat all day. And I real feel no hunger pains I know its bad that I have not eaten any thing, though Ive had water, its been a busy day.
But is this a bad thing or just a niether here nor there thing?
Thank you.
internalfist
Forum Contributor

Postby joeblast » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:03 am

That's a good thing! The body needs energy to subsist on, be it the electrochemical energy you get from digestion, or...bigu :) Ramp up your practice and you can subsist on qi, its how masters can do a month in a cave with nothing to eat or drink. Also how devout buddhists or ascetics can eat lunch, and basically have qi for breakfast and dinner.

I'd say if you can keep up that level of training, go for eating once a day, maybe set aside a day or two a week where you simply fast, or better yet, eat when you are hungry, your body will tell you what it needs.
Its so much easier to get deep into meditation when the empty/yang/Fu organs are pretty much empty, as they occupy the majority of the space your abdomen is moving when breathing.

Keep doing the ZZ, and I would also recommend seated meditation in the evenings. Its like going out and earning money, then 'making your deposit' in the evening. But no mistake, a good ZZ regimen is invaluable and is an awesome way to build qi!
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Postby internalfist » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:05 pm

Thanks alot for the info! Wow Im really kinda amazed honestly.
I will definately try doing the whole eat once a day. I assume this would a be a great way to get in shape as well? Im fairly strong, but I have atleast 25 lbs to lose.

I also noticed last night when I did eat, I became very tired all of a sudden. So reading this now it kinda all ties together.
Again thanks alot joeblast! :D
internalfist
Forum Contributor

Postby internalfist » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:18 pm

One my quick question joeblast. Will eating only once a day effect my martial arts training in any way? I mean as far as when I do rigurous external training?
Thanks again :)
internalfist
Forum Contributor

Postby joeblast » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:57 pm

Well, 'getting in shape' is really a relative term. You could have an extra 25 you might want to lose, but you wont necessarily have to lose that weight to be 'in good shape.' I'm no expert, but I wouldnt place too much emphasis on a little adipose ;) Concentrate on things that will really be of benefit you, like your ZZ practice! Losing a few pounds is relatively trivial. Some people will get a little extra gut and its just their body type, they wont ever be able to fully get rid of it. My brother fries at me all the time because I can keep a flat stomach and he has a hell of a time keeping his sixers sexy, even doing five times the amount of working out that I do.

Regarding eating...its a fact that digestion takes energy in order to produce energy! That's why a big meal puts you on the couch right quick. This is something you'll have to discover for yourself - a proper eating regimen, how much how often and when (of course, a professional will be able to work with you and tailor your intake to you, but there's professionals for everything out there these days - disclaimer: I'm not one of them! :lol:) That will tie into your martial arts training - doing a lot of physical exercise will absolutely require more calories, so there will be times that you will naturally eat some more when heavier training is involved.

IMHO, fasting a day a week will probably get you more results than eating once a day, but the two aren't mutually exclusive, and you seem to have a decently physical regimen on top of that so you may only want to eat once some days and not others. My humble advice would be to stay diligent with the ZZ, eat when you are hungry (but not after 7 or 8pm) and add meditation in the evenings. Not sure what the extent of your experience with meditation is...

The one constant is change - so whatever you're doing right now, you're not going to be in the same spot in 6 months without REALLY trying :lol: Get to know thyself well enough to flow with those changes!
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Postby internalfist » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:00 am

Thanks again :D
My experience with meditation. Well I havent had formal training, but in my younger teen years mainly 15 16 I did ALOT of meditation, I could meditate for almost up to 2 hours. But some things happend and I strayed away from all the qi gong and kung fu. Couple years later Im 18 find a okinawan karate school and join up. Its a good school but its hard, but I origanally practiced more internal with external. They have very little internal. but any way some finacial matters came up which in a way is good because I got back into ZZ and qi gong and really got into Xingyi.
But my meditation experience is fairly decent I would assume even with out the instructors Ive looked around but havent found any near, and I have books galour, lol.
I also did weight lifting for abit but cut that down heavily. When I do I only use dumbells and I honestly never go over 25lbs and I only use that for my lats and chest. and I really only use 15lbs for triceps and biceps. I do endurance training so my muscles arent huge, but they have strenght and endurance. Thats how I beat bigger guys then my in wrestling lol, they couldnt pin me so they used all their strength to try and tire so I could easly over come them, plus I had my qi gong :D
internalfist
Forum Contributor

Postby joeblast » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:46 pm

I'll check around for an article I'll send you :)
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Return to Qigong / Chi Kung