nei gung

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

nei gung

Postby garymthetford » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:05 am

Quick question: is nei gung (exercises) the same as nei dan (exercises)?
garymthetford
Forum Contributor

Postby joeblast » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:37 pm

internal power vs cultivation of such :)
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Maybe help to clarify joeblast post?

Postby vvanesse59 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:57 pm

Neigong, is any of a set of Chinese breathing and meditation disciplines associated with Daoism and especially the Chinese martial arts. Neigong practice is normally associated with the so called "soft style", "internal" or neija Chinese martial arts, as opposed to the category known as waigong or "external skill"

Wai Dan as an easy way to think of external qigong in that it builds energy from the outside inwards.
Nei Dan, Internal qigong, goes about building energy through meditation and breathing exercises
vvanesse59
Forum Contributor

Postby garymthetford » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:36 pm

Thanks for the answers. Where I am going with this is a have a set of nei dan exercises which I do, now I am told (by senior people) I need to do a nei gung exercise set which will cost £800.
The question is: is there any difference between nei dan and nei gung exercises?, (they will not answer my question as its top secret)

I suppose the answer is I will only know after I have paid the £800.......
garymthetford
Forum Contributor

Postby joeblast » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:51 am

they're probably just withholding any information that might help you fill your dantien and actually utilize it more than non practitioners :D

what are the nei dan exercises you know?
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Postby yeniseri » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:24 am

Neigung is one of the few older terms associated with what we call qigong today. Most qigong today tends to downplay attitude, behaviours, and 'dietary fitness' while the older terms like neigung, neidangong, yangshenggong, etc tend to be holistic encompassing many spheres of cultivation, as it was insinuated in the past.
Older doesn't mean better if people are holding back, refusing to teach, or only doing so for monetary reward.

Check out some of the material by author Livia Kohn, who does excellent work on Daoist systems and background.

http://www.bookfinder.com/author/livia-kohn/
yeniseri
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby darth_freak » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:32 am

you *need* to do a set which cost you £800? either it's pretty serious or you're just about to get crooked.
"Turn your butt!"
Master Yang.

Xavier
darth_freak
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby garymthetford » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:27 pm

Thanks that helps, as what I have been doing is YJM's Nei dan set from taichi chikung, coupled with swallow breathing and brain/bone marrow washing, and it is working for me.
This site is a big help for myself as I am instructor less so getting advice and guidance (reasurance in some ways) is difficult.

Thank you :)

yeniseri wrote:Neigung is one of the few older terms associated with what we call qigong today. Most qigong today tends to downplay attitude, behaviours, and 'dietary fitness' while the older terms like neigung, neidangong, yangshenggong, etc tend to be holistic encompassing many spheres of cultivation, as it was insinuated in the past.
Older doesn't mean better if people are holding back, refusing to teach, or only doing so for monetary reward.

Check out some of the material by author Livia Kohn, who does excellent work on Daoist systems and background.

http://www.bookfinder.com/author/livia-kohn/
garymthetford
Forum Contributor

Postby garymthetford » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:30 pm

In the system/style which I do, if you havent done the neigung (inner door bai shi) you are very much looked down upon. I guess that is the traditional way :)

I know £800 for 24 exercises, not a bad little earner is it :)

darth_freak wrote:you *need* to do a set which cost you £800? either it's pretty serious or you're just about to get crooked.
garymthetford
Forum Contributor

Return to Qigong / Chi Kung