reverse abdominal breathing

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

reverse abdominal breathing

Postby rtague » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:50 am

Hi everybody ,this is my first post.I'm new to qi gong practice and was wondering if it is safe to practice reverse abdominal breathing as a begining practice.I have many years of experience with yogic breathing(pranayama ) so I do have some knowledge of the breath.Thanks in advance.
rtague
Forum User

Postby joeblast » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:51 am

If you've got a decent amount of experience under your belt, no worries doing it, so long as you are doing it properly and not forcing things. Usually natural ab breath is done first because its easier to synchronize, but if you've already practiced and gained proper sensitivity to do reverse, it is a significantly more powerful breath.
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Postby rtague » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:21 pm

Thanks Joeblast,thats pretty much what I thought.The practice has come pretty easy to me having practiced diaphramatic abdominal breathing for quite some time.I just wanted to make sure it was ok to practice without formal instruction.Thanks again.
rtague
Forum User

Postby Dvivid » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:41 pm

Reverse abdominal breathing isnt dangerous anyway.

It is entirely natural. We use it when we have a strong intention to do something: like pushing a car.
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Postby rtague » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:30 pm

Thanks Dvivid,I guess there's a lot of times we use rab without even being aware of it.Good point.
rtague
Forum User

Return to Qigong / Chi Kung