Learn Micorcosmic/Macrocosmic Orbit

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Learn Micorcosmic/Macrocosmic Orbit

Postby caat » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:06 pm

I am new to Qi Gong. I plan to learn Microcosmic/Macrocosmic Orbit. Fa Chia Chi Kung(http://www.fflxz.org/english.htm) is the only organization here in San Francisco Bay Area, where I live, offering regular meetings to teach it. I read the web site in Chinese and it uses mouth inhale and nose exhale breathing. Is this style of breathing dangerous? I need to gather more info about this style of Chi Kung before diving in.
caat
Just Arrived

Postby joeblast » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:36 am

There's a lot of different breathing strategies, each to serve a purpose. It doesnt seem logical that this would be an introductory method, imho.

What do you wish to accomplish? Always a good question to ask oneself when considering training. Were I to decide to start lifting weights, I would first assess my current state and then devise a plan with my end goal in mind - which would be different if I simply wanted bulk up to be a bodybuilder, real overall strength if I were to be a professional weight lifter...but if I just wanted to tone up a bit, my training regimen would be altogether different, not only in time involved but in overall impact on current lifestyle.

I got into qigong from studying wing chun...and eventually kinda dropped martial arts altogether in favor of exercises that will make more of an impact on my life - standing and moving qigong exercises to improve joints, mobility, health; meditation to calm the mind...which eventually led to my seeking more spiritual endeavors.

The waters are a little muddier with respect to qigong, as paths & teachings vary. For a beginner I would suggest starting on simple prerequisites like natural abdominal breathing, simple movement such as 8 brocades, and standing...working on gaining sensitivity throughout. You'll spend a while in beginning stages anyway, if you have other spiritual inclinations then you can continue to explore them as you progress, and eventually find a set of practices that resonate with you.
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Wot about Taichi

Postby sunjayraj » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:46 am

Joeblast,
i had a similiar path to yours, started qigong and Taichi for health reasons but now inclined toward spiritual pursuit.

Have you tried taichi? I mean can i do taichi along with Qigong too or is it unnecessary since all my health/spiritual goals will be met with Qigong alone?
sunjayraj
Forum User

Postby joeblast » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:49 am

I havent studied much tai chi. I bought Dr Yang's classical yang DVD but I just havent had the time to put into learning it. You can absolutely do tai chi and qigong, its pretty darn close to qigong anyway. There's lots of different qigongs anyway, depending what you want to focus on. Some of the moving qigong I currently do is an exercise called xing shen zhuang, which works the spine, hips and legs...I also do 8 brocades occasionally, which is an entirely different focus...and my spontaneous moving qigong I do is called kunlun, which has a more spiritual compliment to it than the other two, but it also has health benefits.
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Postby sunjayraj » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:21 am

Joeblast,
thanks a lot for your advise.

The two chingong you mentioned "xing shen zhuang" and "kunlun", where did you learn them from. Can you pls share the book/dvd/teacher? My health problems basically stem from hips and spine, for which i got much benefit from 'craig williamson'.
sunjayraj
Forum User

Postby sunjayraj » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:57 pm

i found this link:
sunjayraj
Forum User

Postby sunjayraj » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:58 pm

sunjayraj
Forum User

Postby joeblast » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:48 pm

here's a video of what I learned from a student of this guy. you have to focus to ignore the russian though :lol: (hopefully the link is still alive at the library site )
I didnt continue with the thunder & lightning path because I was already well immersed in my kunlun path, and the paths of cultivation arent such that you can practice concurrently. Kinda had to make a choice of which I resonated with more, both practices and teachers...

that zhineng link isnt quite the same practice, but it is pretty close and still a good exercise set.

kunlun site is kunlunbliss.com - if you have any questions about it, shoot me a pm...there is a forum, but as practices and details are discussed there, its private, so they grant you access after you've taken a seminar.

for a good general reference site, my buddy keith has compiled an excellent bunch of stuff at www.alchemicaltaoism.com - lots of good tips there!
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Return to Qigong / Chi Kung