Qigon class for community college

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Qigon class for community college

Postby vvanesse59 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:52 pm

I am looking into instructing a qigong class for our community college and trying to set up a short syllabus that would be good for a 1 hour once a week, 5-7 week program. I am thinking of zhan zhuang, 8 Brocades and short marrow washing as demonstrated on Ken Cohen tape. My goal is to describe/explain proper posture, breathing, yi, of zhan zhuang and for 8 Brocades explain connection of exercises to meridians. I am trying to envision taking an hour to run through/explain the various exercises: 10-15 min, standing; 10 minutes 8 Brocades, perhaps 6-8 mins marrow washing (little short of an hour but I figure you need to "break" in between exercise groups to let it sift in). Lot of information but thinking repetition in each class will get folks started on qigong. I know some folks do soaring crane and 18 lohan but these seem to be a lot to add to these more simple exercises not wanting to overwhelm folks before they can get into it.

Anyone have any ideas positive or negative on this sort of a program? Thanks Vic in IL
vvanesse59
Forum Contributor

Postby Dvivid » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:30 pm

Just Zhan Zhuang and 8 Brocades is probably enough for an hour. Especially for beginners.

I sometimes teach a short warm up and the 8 Brocades, with Embrace the Tree at the end, and 5 minutes to discuss feelings of Qi, and any questions at end...
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Postby vvanesse59 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:56 am

Thanks Dvivid. I was trying to envision a class setting and "teaching" those two qigong to fill an hour. Of course there are breathing, posture, explanation of qigong/qi, etc. that could help fill the hour -- as well as question/answer time but I have not run through a session to see what it would take. I know you certainly cant expect beginner to "stand" for 20-30 minutes but was just trying to fill in a session.

Does the session you describe 8BC, embrace the tree fill in an hour or so and would you simply repeat and fill in info in future sessions so as to not overwhelm first timers with info and then just work on question/answer as well as some practice repeat? I know 8BC can be discussed quite a bit but as I heard early on in taiji classes -- classes are for doing not so much theory.
vvanesse59
Forum Contributor

Return to Qigong / Chi Kung