standing on stake question

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

standing on stake question

Postby lilman » Mon May 05, 2008 8:52 am

I have a friend I been showing some Taiji and Qigong to. I showed him standing on stake and informed that I practice an hour daily during my regimin. Well he decided to try it. What he told me was that after about 20 minutes, his legs fell asleep?! I never heard of that during standing on stake. I informed him its either cuz he has insuficient Leg Qi or he was stanidning in a pospition that uses too much muscle strenght, or blocked the Qi flow to the legs, but his position didnt look forced or anything. Is it because hes trying too much too soon? Any advice would be appreciated. Standing on stake is broke up into 4 15 minute postures
lilman
Forum Guru

Postby chimojo » Mon May 05, 2008 4:43 pm

I have read this recommendation: 5 min for beginners, then add 5 min every 3 weeks. So, it is possible that this person was not ready for 20 min yet. Also, it could be a reaction from the exercise.

To narrow the possibilities, I would have them reduce to 5 min and see if this continues. If it does, then make sure it is not really numbness, which is a common symptom and not exactly legs falling asleep.
chimojo
Forum Contributor

Postby lilman » Tue May 06, 2008 8:57 am

Thank you. I read the same thing. I thought it was from trying too much too fast, just wanted a second opinion. Ill let them know... :)
lilman
Forum Guru

Return to Qigong / Chi Kung