Blood pressure and practice

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Blood pressure and practice

Postby fit155 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:20 am

Has anyone seen their blood pressure drop and have been able to attribute it to their practice?

In the last two weeks I've been to my western medical doctor's office twice. Both times my blood pressure was 107/75, the lowest that I've ever known it to be. I'm usually spot on normal at 120/80. The nurse and the nurse practioner I saw weren't worried at all. But I must admit I'm a little startled. The top number has dropped by more than 10 points.

This is the first time I've had my blood pressure taken since I started my dedicated practice to Qigong. I've been doing Qigong pretty consistently since last Fall. I also do some meditation. I am wondering if my practices, specifically my deep diaphramatic breathing are responsible for this drop...I guess I am hoping they are.

I think I will monitor my blood pressure for the next few months to see what happens.
fit155
Forum Addict

Re

Postby dissidente » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:57 am

Yes. My blood pressure and heart rate dropped significantly after doing IMA. If I recall, I think my heartrate is around 50+ bpm, from over 60+.
dissidente
Forum User

Postby clairvoyager » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:34 am

Qigong will lower your blood pressure, but as long as it stays within normal values, there is nothing to worry about.
clairvoyager
Forum Contributor

re

Postby dissidente » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:36 am

Normal is relative. Lance Armstrong and Mohd Ali in peak form had heart rates of 30+, though the average person is said to be between 60-70.
dissidente
Forum User

Postby Dvivid » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:39 am

Qigong can raise or lower your blood pressure, depending if you practice correctly or not. This can be a problem: after Qigong sometimes, people's blood pressure is higher. I have had students with this problem.

It all depends upon your mind during the practice.

Dr. Yang instructs us that when your mind is below the diaphragm, blood pressure goes down. When your mind is above the diaphragm, blood pressure can rise.

If you return Qi to the lower dan dian, your blood pressure will go down. If not, it can rise.

Sometimes people are stressed during class, trying to get the posture right, or holding unnecessary muscular or mental tension, and they end up raising their blood pressure. A key point is to relax, soften, and release tension in order to lower your blood pressure.

Remember also: when you breathe more slowly, your heart beats more slowly, and blood pressure can be lowered.
Last edited by Dvivid on Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Postby clairvoyager » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:28 am

Thanks for that information Dvivid, I never heard of that distinction.
clairvoyager
Forum Contributor

Return to Qigong / Chi Kung