Mystical Aspects of Qigong

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Mystical Aspects of Qigong

Postby fit155 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:34 pm

I heard that if you practice a Qigong with a long lineage, you tap into the chi of the past masters who practiced it.

Does anyone know if Dr. Yang has ever mentioned something similar? Dr. Yang seems to be fairly scientific in his approach to Qigong, and I don't know if he ever gets into or even believes in some of the mystical aspects of it.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Personal experience?

Maybe mystical isn't the right term...but I hope you understand what I am asking.
fit155
Forum Addict

Postby Dvivid » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:34 am

If that long lineage has teachers that have practiced a lot and who are excellent teachers able to pass on their skills to you, then yes you may build your Qi to their level.

If the long qigong lineage has teachers that talk about the magical, mystical aspects of Qigong practice and they don't focus on their own internal cultivation, and/or they lack the skills as a teacher to pass on their understanding to the student, then you likely wont learn as much.

You will not tap into the Qi of the ancestors through osmosis or magic.

Every person starts from the start and must focus on their own internal cultivation with the guidance of a good teacher, regardless of the lineage.

Mystical things happen during meditation and qigong practice. But we don't focus on them or try to make them happen. They say 'don't look at the scenery'. Don't let your emotional mind get involved or you will be scattered and confused in your practice forever. Instead, we focus on Qi Gong, energy cultivation, to the stage of regulating without regulating.
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Return to Qigong / Chi Kung