Working out for wai dan

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Working out for wai dan

Postby chimojo » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:47 am

What is the difference (in health benefits) if I work out with weights and running and then lead the chi back to my dan tien, and doing wai dan qigong exercises and do the same thing?
chimojo
Forum Contributor

Postby je murin » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:06 pm

I'm into something similar, I've just started so I couldn't tell anything handy about my experiences.
however we should think about "stucked chi" or how does the english copy call it (I have only a hungarian version)

and I would really reccomend to swim a lot! swim makes muscles strong but smooth and loose in the same time. very good for chi I would think.
je murin
Forum Regular

Postby joeblast » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:51 pm

wai dan qigong focuses on tendons, ligaments, connective tissue - which are more fundamental than muscle. having the muscle strength to rip tendons or ligaments isnt really a good thing...not that weight training is bad. you just dont want to lift tons of weight to build lots of muscle mass.
I enjoy weights, I've got a leg press/squat machine, but I do a lot of other stuff like dips, chinups, pushups...along with moving qigong like 8 brocades and...I'll get around to taijiquan when I've got some more time...the DVD is good, but its a little too much for me to focus on at the moment...
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Return to Qigong / Chi Kung