Runner's / Artist's "High" - via Qigong?

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Runner's / Artist's "High" - via Qigong?

Postby tcozz » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:39 am

Hello.

First of all, thank you to all who contribute to these forums; I find them most interesting and informative.

A friend of mine is an artist and muscian (in his 50's); he had been overweight and a smoker, but has gotten into much better shape the past year or two and has cut down on his smoking.

When his is composing (or painting/drawing), he uses nicotine and coffee to bring and keep himself into a very energized and creative state. He is very interested in learning some type of method(s) to obtain this state of mind, but without the caffeine and nicotine and associated side effects.

Does anyone know if there are Qigiong or other meditative methods to bring one to what amounts to a "Runner's High"? When he describes his state during these periods, it appears to be highly Yang - but I also explained that great clarity and creativity can be had in a meditative / Yin state as well.

I also told him that any 'method' would take time to cultivate and practice; he was very open to that as well.

Comments and suggestions are welcome. Thank you for reading.

Peace.

Tom
tcozz
Forum User

Postby joeblast » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:44 am

For me, daily exercise (yang) and daily meditation (yin) do the trick. It takes a while to establish habit and develop some proficiency...until you do so, gains will likely be marginal.
One doesnt need caffeine or nicotine in order to induce a mentally yang state. When you learn to control the mind, you can bring yourself there with much more control and clarity; you can keep yourself there, wont have to worry about the drugs wearing off. :)
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Postby tcozz » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:03 am

Joeblast,

I agree - but how do I help someone who has never practiced internal arts or external martial arts along the path to cultivating their energies in this fashion?

Suggestions welcome.

Tom
tcozz
Forum User

Postby joeblast » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:56 pm

Hmm...begin by establishing the present. Mindfulness. Living now, not then. I'm sure he'll be able to relate that to the stroke of a brush or the fretting of a note...Intention springs forth from the mind.
Probably an easy start would be to have him start just sitting and calming the mind for ~10, 20 minutes at a clip, whatever he's comfortable with and introduce natural abdominal breathing. I havent watched the Understanding Qigong DVD 1, but I think that would probably be a good starter to begin to understand the theory. The Root of Qigong is also a good book.

Its always advisable to practice under the supervision of a master, but Dr Yang presents a pretty safe path should none be available.
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Return to Qigong / Chi Kung