Suggestions Qigong practice and study progression?

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Suggestions Qigong practice and study progression?

Postby fit155 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:37 pm

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to progress with Qigong practice and self-study?

For example, I have started with the sitting 8 pieces of brocade and am gradually learning the standing set. What are the next logical exercises to learn and practice?

I was thinking of getting the embryonic breathing meditation to add to what I am currently doing. Or should I stick with the 8 pieces for a while and then add the embryonic breathing later? Or would the small circulation be better to learn first?

How about study? Is The Root of Chinese Qigong: Secrets of Health, Longevity and Englightenment a good place to start?

I know I should (and will) spend a lot of time with the 8 pieces alone and I don't want to try to do too much and not learn the forms properly. But I am the type of person that likes to have a plan and know what's coming up next and why.

I appreciate any comments and suggestions.
fit155
Forum Addict

Postby je murin » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:34 pm

there is no step-by-step plan to self-sudy I presume..
but yes just spend time with the brocades. and with some other wai dan like da mo's twelve standing forms or the open palm forms. in my opninion.... but the best just go to do some martial arts.. nothing too strained or serius of course. or get a place you can do some thai chi (also martial art) even if there is no famous master in you region. take your time. routine and time is very imprtant to get into closer contact with your body.

that's what I think is handy to not to lose the path alone.
:oops:
je murin
Forum Regular

Postby joeblast » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:43 am

Get some good exercise; sweat. Every day if you can, 2-3x a week if you cant. The 8 brocades are excellent exercises, definitely worth doing daily...if you can fit all that in :D

Meditate every day. No need to put off doing embryonic breathing. You need to do that (EB) before you learn small circulation. In fact, you eventually want to continuously do embryonic breathing throughout your day. Once you establish that habit sufficiently, you'll even do it in your sleep. My girlfriend said she noticed my breathing like that when I sleep after a few months of diligent practice.

Root is an awesome book. As with anything, take time to develop sensitivity to your physical body, take some time to develop sensitivity to your mind, and only then will you have a good grasp on developing sensitivity to your energy. Dont try and progress too quickly!
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Postby fit155 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:46 pm

Thanks for your replies.

Joe I agree completely that I shouldn't try to progress too quickly.

Thanks again.
fit155
Forum Addict

Postby je murin » Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:15 pm

can I have a question as well?

do we have to turn to the east during wai dan practice?
je murin
Forum Regular

Postby fit155 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:52 pm

Good question je murin.

In the book or DVD (can't remember which) Dr. Yang says to face east when doing the standing 8 pieces, but does not mention a direction in which to practice when doing the sitting practice....
fit155
Forum Addict

Postby joeblast » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:01 pm

fit155 wrote:Thanks for your replies.

Joe I agree completely that I shouldn't try to progress too quickly.

Thanks again.
when studying under a master its usually not as much of an issue...but by studying through books, one has access to such a wide range of exercises, many of which are not appropriate for all levels of training. When studying books, it is important to learn the theory well, gain internal sensitivity, and get a good grasp of what your bounds are. A good reason for Frantzis' 70% rule when doing.

the facing east thing is to absorb the sun's qi while practicing, if it is during the morning.
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Return to Qigong / Chi Kung