Baduanjin, exercise 3

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Baduanjin, exercise 3

Postby Tomsa » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:20 pm

This question concerns exercise 3 of the baduanjin.

In Dr. Yang's book "Eight Simple Qigong Exercises for Health", page 64, it says "...when you raise and stretch each hand you can also stretch the leg on the same side to increase the extension."

How do you do this when you are standing shoulder width apart with feet equally weighted? Can anyone explain this to me please?
Tomsa
Forum Newbie

Postby darth_freak » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:38 am

I'm not sure what is meant in the book. I've juste checked the DVD and the only thing he "adds" is turning the body to the side while settling the hands.
"Turn your butt!"
Master Yang.

Xavier
darth_freak
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby Dvivid » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:53 am

I teach this set every week. It means to press your heels into the floor so your legs are stretching slightly while you raise the arms. Then, as you extend the right arm upwars, gently stretch the right leg, as if you can extend it further. Then the left leg.

Just listen to your body and stretch both sides equally, slowly and gradually. It should feel comfortable, and over time, the arms and legs should be able to stretch to their maximum without effort.

Practice three times a week (correctly - look in a miror)and you'll see the muscles and tendons respond quickly.
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Return to Qigong / Chi Kung