Visualization During 8 Pieces of Brocade

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Visualization During 8 Pieces of Brocade

Postby Jonnyw82 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:10 pm

I have been practicing The 8 Pieces of Brocade, however the dvd I am using does not offer much guidance as far as utilizing visualization to enhance chi cultivation and storage. Can I get some advice on what I should be visualizing during the movements? Thank you.
Jonathan
Jonnyw82
Forum Newbie

Postby darth_freak » Tue May 01, 2007 5:48 am

Do NOT visualise. You focus on what you do and that's all. The qi goes where your mind go.
Visualisation is Mantak Chia's thing and it's not that good when you're not advanced. Most of the time you'll imagine things and so your qi won't go where you think it goes. Use your mind to lead the qi and even if you don't feel the qi or whatever, it's ok. The 8 pieces of brocades are a basic qigong set. Even if you're not deeply meditative as you do it it'll be effective. If you know how to circulate your qi then do it. But don't visualise!
"Turn your butt!"
Master Yang.

Xavier
darth_freak
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby joeblast » Tue May 01, 2007 9:18 am

Agreed, I have some of Chia's stuff and he does talk about visualizing things - but for a beginner, your main focus needs to be on regulating mind, breath, and the exercise form - build foundations first!
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Postby Dvivid » Tue May 01, 2007 12:44 pm

Yes, this is true MOSTLY. Except that a few of the pieces actually require that you visualize, and its traditionally instructed that way, with the visualization incorporated into the posture.

For instance, Sitting Brocade #8 tells you to visualize your entire body is on fire.

The postures are traditionally taught verbally from teacher student. And HOPEFULLY, the teacher has studied the original ancient "secret words", which are the poems used to remember and pass on the postures for the last .

Entire sky slow transportation (Zhou Tian Man Yun)

“Wait until saliva arrives again. Again rinse and swallow the saliva. Do this three times, swallowing saliva nine times. Swallow noisily. In hundreds of vessels, Qi adjusts uniformly and automatically. Entire body transportation (small circulation) completed, visualize that fire is burning your entire body."

The secret words tell you what to focus on during each posture. trust them, or a teacher who refers to them as a guide.

http://ymaa.stores.yahoo.net/eigsimqigexf3.html
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Return to Qigong / Chi Kung