leading qi to real lower dantian and guardian qi

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

leading qi to real lower dantian and guardian qi

Postby a_nay1234 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:32 am

Hey,

I have a question.

I have read through "Embryonic breathing", and I have a question regarding leading the qi to the real lower dantian (charging the dantian).

Dr. Yang writes, "Once you can lead the Qi down and inward to store it at the Real Lower Dan Tian, you must also be able to maintain your mind there. In this case, you are doing the Embryonic Breathing. However, this Embryonic Breathing" can be divide again into two practices. One is classified as Yang and is called 'Girdle Vessel Breathing" and the other one is classified as Yin and is called 'Marrow Breathing' (pg 338).

So, as far as I can interpret. There are actually 3 different breathing methods described in this section (pgs 335-340). A way to charge the real dantian and then two ways beyond that (Girdle vessel and Marrow breathing).

Is this correct?

If this is correct, then here is my next question?

Does charging the dantian use up Guardian Qi? I ask this because looking at the theory, qi is being led inwards, which will shrink the guardian qi if it is not counteracted by leading back out. In the diagrams for reverse breathing (pg 338), Dr. Yang has the inward arrows towards the center of the body while inhaling (drawing the qi inward), and then the downward arrow in the center for exhalation (guiding the qi down to real dan tian). Will not drawing qi inward like this use up guardian qi/make it shrink?

I have been practicing this method and I think it is using up guardian qi (from my body feeling after practicing). Maybe I am doing something wrong. Either way, I would appreciate some input in this regard.

Alex
a_nay1234
Forum User

Postby Alex_Qc » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:59 am

I haven't praticed the Embryonic Breathing sufficiently to be able to help you, but I can always make a suggestion.

The Girdle Vessel is highly connected to your Guardian Qi. Therefore, when doing the "Yang breathing", this should expand your Guardian Qi from your real Dan Tian to your skin. This should [b]increase[/b]your guardian Qi.

I don't know much about Marrow Breathing, but from Muscle/Tendon Changing and Bone/Marrow Washing, we can see that marrow breathing may indeed shrinks your Guardian Qi. You are actually using Qi that is circulating in your body (meridians or Guardian Qi) to lead it inside your bone. This is why you are supposed to do Marrow Breathing only in the summer (where your Guardian Qi is much stronger).

As I said, I can't help you much on Embryonic Breathing, but common sense tells me that for balance, you should pratice both the Yang and Yin Embryonic Breathing. Yang breathing expands your Guardian Qi from the Girdle Vessel and Yin "shrinks" it to nourrish the marrow/bone.
(Finding a balance might imply in this case to do more Yin breathing during summer and more yang breathing during winter time.

Hope this helps somehow

:wink:
Alex_Qc
Forum User

Postby darth_freak » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:09 pm

as long as it's Summer, your guardian shouldn' suffer too much. It's precisely during Spring and Summer that you can store in the marrow. But the storing is "basicly" stored in the marrow when you inhale longer than exhale. When you exhale longer than inhale, your guardian qi is expended.
In any way the Girdle Vessel is winner. With the Yin practise (store in marrow) it gets more qi flowing in. In the Yang practice it gets expended with your guardian qi.
You can see 3 ways. The one to charge as you say would only in the purpose of charging (hehe :-/), just storing in the dan tian. and the others are to expend the qi or to store it in the marrow. Both thing are for health. the Yang one for basic health and the Yin for longevity.

The qi stored in the dan tian comes from outside, so it won't wear out the guardian qi. Your guardian qi will even be stronger, even if you don't practice its expension. it's basic stuff; the more you have, the more it circulates.
It's just that when your mind goes in, the qi follows. So as you inhale longer the guardin qi is retracted, when you exhale longer the qi in the marrow is kind of expended but it gets back in place.

is that clear? or is it damn crazy? (so I'll know if I must change my practice)
"Turn your butt!"
Master Yang.

Xavier
darth_freak
Forum ÜberGuru

almost there...but not quite

Postby a_nay1234 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:58 pm

Alright,

So, there are indeed three types of breathing in that section - dan tian charging, girdle vessel breathing (to increase guardian qi), and marrow breathing (which as side effect shrinks guardian qi).

The explanation regarding the shrinking or expanding of guardian qi has more to do with the ratio of exhalation to inhilation.

Yet, this is what is getting me
Quote from darth_freak...

"he qi stored in the dan tian comes from outside, so it won't wear out the guardian qi. Your guardian qi will even be stronger, even if you don't practice its expension. it's basic stuff; the more you have, the more it circulates.
It's just that when your mind goes in, the qi follows. So as you inhale longer the guardin qi is retracted, when you exhale longer the qi in the marrow is kind of expended but it gets back in place. "

I have a couple more questions based upon this.

i) how does the qi come from the outside in charging the dan tian?

ii) "It's just that when your mind goes in, the qi follows".

Well, in charging the dan tian, the qi is being led inwards...

:shock:
haha...just as I was writing this, I decided to check the section in the book again. My eyes almost directly went to this..."Daoist way:, you inhale to condense the Qi inward to the center...In this case, you are shrinking the Guarding Qi and enhancing the Marrow Qi. Once the Qi is led to the cental energy line (thrusting vessel or spinal cord,) then exhale deeply while leading the Qi downward through the central energy line...In this way, Qi can also be stored at the Real Lower Dan Tian." (pg 337)

So, case solved. Charging the Dan Tian with reverse breathing does indeed shrink the Guardian Qi! I knew it.

I have a couple more questions based upon this:

i) does buddhist breathing (normal breathing) shrink the guardian qi the same way?

ii) is there any way to charge the dan tian without shrinking guardian qi?
Obviously, one would not want to change the dantian with reverse breathing in fall and winter because it shrinks the guardian qi.

Alex

[/quote]
a_nay1234
Forum User

Return to Qigong / Chi Kung