4 gates breathing

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

4 gates breathing

Postby keniz138 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:07 am

I have done some 4 gates breathing in qigong classes before, but I want to make sure doing it right. As far as I can tell, it's feet shoulder width apart, hands at waist level kind of floating in front palms down. Visualize breathing in through palms and feet simultaneously into lower dantien (normal abdominal breathing) and then reverse on the exhale. Anything more to it than that? (In terms of when is best to do it, as a warm up, beofre the ofrm, after qigoset, etc)
keniz138
Forum Regular

Postby DOM » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:49 am

some good qestions,I have some of the same one's! as far as I can tell you can do it when ever you want,befor as a warm up or after.It is probably a little better as a warm up.If you take a look at Master Yangs Tachi Ball DVD 1 this is done befor any of the ball training.In the last push hands seminar we did it after the four seasons chigung warm up and before any other training.He also broke it down in parts.First wuji breathing with budist breath,then with daoist breathing,then on to two gates,then 4 and the fifth.I am not sure if you need to break it down like this every time.From my understanding once you have practiced this way for some time and are comfortable.You should be able to start right of with 4 gates breathing using daoist breath.
DOM
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby Dvivid » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:01 am

Four Gates Breathing is good to practice anytime.

Start by using normal abdominal breathing, and eventually do it with reverse abdominal breathing. Stand up straight, relax the entire body.

When you exhale, Qi travels from the lower dan tian down the outer side (Yang side) of the legs and out through the yongquan cavities in the soles of the feet. At the same time, Qi travels up the back to the point between the shoulderblades, and outward, down the outer side (Yang side) of the arms and out through the laogong in the palms.

When you inhale, Qi travels in through the palms, up the inner side (Yin side) of the arms and down the front of the torso to the lower dan tian. At the same time, Qi travels in through the soles of the feet, up the inner side of the legs to the lower dan tian.

You'll find a stronger sensation with reverse abdominal breathing once you've practiced a while.

Mentally, relax as you practice this visualization, and focus your concentrated mind on the breath slowly going in and out.
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Postby keniz138 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:53 pm

Thanks!
keniz138
Forum Regular

Return to Qigong / Chi Kung