Posture in Eight Sections of Brocade

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Posture in Eight Sections of Brocade

Postby once_upon_user » Sun May 14, 2006 11:40 am

Hello,

I have been practising eight sections of brocade for some time and I'm wondering about correct posture during executing this qigong set. Is is said that in general practising person should stand in neutral relaxed posture, and I tried to achive one: standing in stright relaxed position, but I have my legs straight, because it helps me not worry to pay to much attension to
my balance and in general it was the easiest way to stand , with legs straight. But recently I have bent a little knees during standing position and
than I felt my waist relaxed and (after some time of practising) warm sensations in waist area. I think that keeping legs straight, prevent body from being relaxed and also make impossible to set vertebra straight. I mean that in general during standing in straight tensed position, vertebra isn't striaght , it is a little curved in waist area, so benting knees allow to
set lower part of vertebra straight. Seting vertebra straight is often emphasized in qigong materials I have been reading. On the other hand
it require more attenstion to keep such posture than keeping legs perfectly
straight. Of course this posture could be kept not in every piece in eight sections of brocade set. So what Is the way you stand? And what do you think about it. Thanks in advance for any suggestions
once_upon_user
Forum User

Postby Dvivid » Mon May 15, 2006 2:57 pm

Hi,

For the postures in which you stand up straight, feet shoulder-width apart, I agree: the knees should be VERY slightly bent, and the tailbone should be VERY slightly tucked. Once you're in this stance, it should be a very natural upright alignment, and your mind should not have to continue monitoring it.

In a couple postures, you are in horse stance, again, upright.

Always be loose and relaxed, even if you are low in horse stance, and upright with your vertebrae stacked one on top of the other, as if there is a string holding you up from the top of your head.

Relax and keep your intention strong throughout each posture. Have fun.

David Silver
Director, 8 Brocades DVD
YMAA Qigong Assistant Instructor
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Return to Qigong / Chi Kung