Walk on water Kung Fu

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Walk on water Kung Fu

Postby Kinteki » Tue May 02, 2006 2:26 pm

I've read and heard about a type of kung fu sometimes called Hing Gung, or "Lightness Training" where you learn to use your Qi to lift your body, making it lighter. People demonstrate this by lifting themselves up with 2 fingers on each hand, and claim that if this type of kung fu is trained a whole lot, the person can use it somewhat like the flying in kung fu movies like crouching tiger or hero (though not quite as powerful as it is in the movies :). However, the ability to lift oneself up with two fingers on each hand doesnt seem like it necessarily requires internal work, conditioning of the fingers could enable someone to do this. I've never really seen any videos or demonstrations of people using this type of kung fu (other than the finger-lifting earlier mentioned), and I was just wondering if it was actually real. Its also called Walking on the surface of water kung fu or running on snow without footprint kung fu.

Thanks
Word
Kinteki
Forum Newbie

Postby scramasax57 » Tue May 02, 2006 6:40 pm

it's called qing gong, meaning lightness skill. i've never seen any demonstrations or heard any reliable person claim to have this skill, but then again i haven't really been looking. it's very high-order qigong if i'm not mistaken, and my impression was that nobody really trains it anymore. i may very well be wrong though.
aka eric hinds, 2nd stripe
n. andover, ma branch
yang's martial arts association

changchuan, baihe, and xingyi
scramasax57
Forum DemiGod

Postby yeniseri » Wed May 03, 2006 9:48 am

paper,

It is of TV, paper novels and fantasy.
A man cannot walk on water no matter the qigong lessons he takes.
This is absurd.

If one lives in a jungle or some isolate location and that man says man can fly he actually means he is using some 'techology' to achieve this process! If someone says, he can teach you to walk on water, just give me the money if it is burning a hole in your pocket!
yeniseri
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby yat_chum » Wed May 03, 2006 1:12 pm

Sijo Chua Giok Beng was also an expert in both Iron Palm (ti sha chiong) and light body (Kin gung) methods. It is said that he could effortlessly leap to the roof of a two storey house in a single bound. As a result of this amazing acrobatic feat, Beng became known as Pan Be Ho, or the "Crane of Pan Be Village"
Five Ancestor Fist Kung-Fu: The Way of Ngo Cho Kun by Alexander L. Co

Matthew 14:22-32 (New International Version)
Jesus Walks on the Water
22Immediately Jesus made the disciples get into the boat and go on ahead of him to the other side, while he dismissed the crowd. 23After he had dismissed them, he went up on a mountainside by himself to pray. When evening came, he was there alone, 24but the boat was already a considerable distance from land, buffeted by the waves because the wind was against it.
25During the fourth watch of the night Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake. 26When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. "It's a ghost," they said, and cried out in fear.

27But Jesus immediately said to them: "Take courage! It is I. Don't be afraid."

28"Lord, if it's you," Peter replied, "tell me to come to you on the water."

29"Come," he said.

Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. 30But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, "Lord, save me!"

31Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. "You of little faith," he said, "why did you doubt?"

32And when they climbed into the boat, the wind died down.

"Don’t limit yourself. Many people limit themselves to what they think they can do. You can go as far as your mind lets you. What you believe, remember, you can achieve." Mary Kay Ash
yijing zhidong

use stillness to overcome movement
yat_chum
Forum God

Postby scramasax57 » Wed May 03, 2006 6:44 pm

despite the name "walk on water kung fu" (which i have never heard before), i don't believe any qing gong practitioner has ever claimed to actually be able to do so. the usual demonstration (from masters like sun lu tang) was running up vertical walls. supposedly they trained this not only by neidan qigong, but also by running up ramps of increasing steepness. theoretically there is a definite possibility of being able to run up a wall for a certain distance. people can do backflips after taking three steps up walls. and olympic high jumpers can jump really high. so theoretically the body is capable of doing some pretty amazing things, and qigong may be the key to unlocking that potential. however i haven't seen anything yet that convinces me anyone has actually achieved this.
aka eric hinds, 2nd stripe
n. andover, ma branch
yang's martial arts association

changchuan, baihe, and xingyi
scramasax57
Forum DemiGod

Postby DOM » Thu May 04, 2006 7:06 am

what is this a cristian web site now?I was watching a class conducted by master zhang from the shaolin temple.He was telling his students on how he was trained to run across a wall.It was the same as scram exsplained.But I beleave he also mentioned having weights attached to his ankles.
DOM
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby yeniseri » Thu May 04, 2006 10:25 am

Better to learn acrobatics than qigong!
Qigong is not about circus acrobatics or parlour trickery but sadly this is one reason for the many superstitious beliefs that destroys the many benefits of yangshenggong practice.

By all means, if someone says he can teach you these skills, so be it.
yeniseri
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby Flip » Fri May 05, 2006 2:44 pm

The end result of lightness walking shouldnt be that you can walk on water - sorry but that is either impossible or of such a high level that we wouldnt have time to discuss because we'd be always training - is that you can walk on a path of sand without leaving footsteps.

I would highly recommend reading "72 Shaolin Arts" that is available online at "kung fu library" http://www.kungfulibrary.com/e-book-store.htm#jin

This lists all kinds of cracy techniques and how to train for them, including qi-gong, strenght training, swimming, eyesight improvement, the list goes on. You can dowload a free sample of the book and then pay a few bucks if you think it's worth having - the free part may be mostly filler and a bio of the author though.

"water walking" or something similar, is explained in this book
Flip
Forum Addict

Postby Kinteki » Fri May 05, 2006 4:38 pm

I've read that book, and in many places i've seen or heard such methods described, but all of the ways people show as to how to attain such lightness are always waidan. I've heard of Neidan methods, but also heard that they are so secret almost no one knows them anymore. I agree that attaining the ability to walk on water or anything of such magnitude would almost be impossible...if one was only using waidan methods like the ones described in 72 arts of shaolin gongfu.
However, it seems that with neidan methods much greater proficiency could be obtained? Perhaps its just overzealous belief in the abilities neidan gongfu can unlock. This gongfu seems like the same levitation skill of the tibetans and yogis. Most often flying is attained by people on the path to enlightnment and is seen merely as a disctraction from the dharma. I see how this is true, but like most of the supernatural powers attained by those with highly focused spirits (holy people), i'm sure there are people who know of a way to get this power directly, not just as a side effect of liberation.
Word
Kinteki
Forum Newbie

Postby Flip » Tue May 09, 2006 11:39 am

Kinteki wrote:i'm sure there are people who know of a way to get this power directly, not just as a side effect of liberation.

What makes you sure?
Flip
Forum Addict

Postby Kinteki » Tue May 09, 2006 10:02 pm

what makes me sure?

nothing.
Word
Kinteki
Forum Newbie

Postby BaguaMonk » Fri May 12, 2006 6:26 pm

I know a little bit about qing gong...

Here are various beginner methods

1) Using weights while practicing bagua, walking in a circle. Use weights on wrists, ankles, legs, waist, chest, etc.
2)Specialized chi gong
3)Jumping in place, without bending knees, or raising heel. Contracting all muscles in and upward
4)Using a wooden plank against wall, and running up it and wall, adjusting it every day.
5)walking around whicker basket with lots of weight inside, remove small amount of weight every day until there is none left
6)must be below age of 13 to start true Qing Gong
7)Must be a virgin (never ejaculated). Mingmen must be open.
8)sit in lotus position, and hop up and down without shifting weight.

I've also heard that one of reasons for training young, is to condition your bones and structure a certain way. For example, rounding the back, once your past 13 it sets and becomes straight. Look at a cat's back, and how it jumps. Shorter leg bones, etc. Weird stuff.

Also its not walking on water, its RUNNNING on water. The idea is that your speed, and weight shift between each foot is perfect. So that the gravit/your weight never fully drops down to the feet, thus the weight keeps moving forward, and not down into the water. It was also said that Qing Gong masters could do this with trees.
BaguaMonk
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby yat_chum » Fri May 12, 2006 8:43 pm

Also its not walking on water, its RUNNNING on water. The idea is that your speed, and weight shift between each foot is perfect. So that the gravit/your weight never fully drops down to the feet, thus the weight keeps moving forward, and not down into the water.
BaguaMonk

Do you mean something like in this clip of a Basilisk (Jesus Christ) lizard, running across water. (As the foot pushes down into the surface of the water, surface tension allows a large dimple to develop. As long as this dimple doesn't collapse on itself, the water provides enough resistance to act like a solid, but very compliant, surface.

http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~glau ... lizard.mov
yijing zhidong

use stillness to overcome movement
yat_chum
Forum God

Postby How Ming » Sat May 13, 2006 8:04 pm

Its a very long process. On average it takes close to 20 years to master it. (according to one of my uncles. I generally dont pay too much attention to it my self.)
How Ming
Forum Addict

try this on for size

Postby yeniseri » Tue May 16, 2006 12:10 pm

Tell me if this will work, my friends

How about when you find a teacher who teaches you to walk on water, tell him you have to learn the skill first, then you pay him after the skill is learned! Guess what the outcome will be? A lot of hungry qing gong teacherless scoundrels! That is my hypothesis. Can anyone prove me wrong?
yeniseri
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby BaguaMonk » Sat May 20, 2006 4:01 am

Yeah thats what I mean. And qing gong is amazing, especially in the minds of many native chinese people. They're bodies in general are built differently, more compact and small.But what if one of these people saw one of our African American Basketball players jump (like Michael Jordan). Obviously he might of possesed Qing Gong. I'm just sayin', according to their standards it was remarkable. But with today's isometric/pylometric, and dynamic resistence excercises, we can achieve quite high jumps our selves. Heck look at Parkour.
"Absolute truth is obtained when the mind achieves complete stillness, the ego and thought are like shackles and chains, blinding you from the obvious truth"
BaguaMonk
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby jellybean » Sun May 21, 2006 11:48 am

lol i think qing gong on waters more like 1 or 2 jumps instead of a long motion. It probably shares similar theory as hopping on the wall then to the roof. From what I know you also have to train at a really young age say... by the time you know how to walk...
But really... qing gong overall is whole figure reflex

hahhaa and yeniseri dont even ask them to teach you, just tell them to show you they can do teh actualy thing 1st.
jellybean
Forum Contributor

Return to Qigong / Chi Kung