Seated Brocade Question???

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Seated Brocade Question???

Postby danc » Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:34 am

I have just pruchased "8 Simple Qigong exercises for health" and my question relates to the first brocade. It states to sit quietly and focus the mind on the middle dan tien, once the fire has settled focus on the upper dan tien to raise the spirit. Its states to take about 3 minutes, how much time do I devote to each dan tien, I have been focusing on the solar plexus for about 2-3 min, once Im relaxed I breifly focus on the upper dan tien and move to the next brocade.

My problem is getting my head around the fact that thats all is required for that brocade, I guess the techniques live up to the name of the book.

Daniel
danc
Forum Newbie

Postby Dvivid » Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:25 am

You can spend as long as you like on this first piece of the Sitting Brocades. It is basically just seated meditation (nei dan).

When you focus on the upper dan tian, try to attain a neutral, energized, and aware state. Cut off any stray thoughts and just focus on your breath going in and out. Once you calm down and get centered during this first 'piece', try to keep this deeply relaxed state throughout the rest of the Qigong set.

There's no discussion of the Qi circulation beyond that, because the 8 Brocades is layperson Qigong, designed so that people with no Qigong theory knowledge can practice and gain the benefits of Qigong without needing to understand how it works.

Enjoy-
David Silver
Director, 8 Simple Qigong - 8 Brocades
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Postby DOM » Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:28 am

this set is simple but can be very deep and complex,this excercise is purly a neigong excercise done with the mind only.In fact the sitting set seems to be much more of an internal excercise than the standing.Athou after one has practiced for some time and your understanding of qigung deepens both these sets can become very intetnal and deep qigung training.If you go to the book page 44 the first piece it will exsplain it pretty well.A sentance from the book states the middle dantain is the center were post birth chi accumulats.Post birth chi is obtained mainly from the food and air.When qi from the middle dantain is stimulated and full the body is energized.The mind however,althou stimulated to a high state,is scattered,and you will be troubled by heart burn.This exercise will exstinguish any fire in your middle dantain so you can concentrate and calm your mind.From my own observation this excercise will teach you the key to safe and effective chigung no matter what form you practice.If you do not have this book I suggjest you get it.Althou,short in comparision to the other qigung material it will still give you the history,theroy and foundation of training chigung.It is my oppinion that every one that is interested in training qigung should read this book and or qigung for health and martial arts first.Althou the other material goes into greater deapth,most paeple will never finish them.They have close to or over 300 pages.Were this one has under 100 pages.
DOM
Forum ÜberGuru

Return to Qigong / Chi Kung