8 Pieces Brocade, Sitting or Standing

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

8 Pieces Brocade, Sitting or Standing

Postby danc » Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:58 pm

Hi All,
Im new to this forum and have been practising various forms of Chi Kung and meditation for a while now, Im looking at simplifying my daily routine down to one type of chi kung and Im thinking the eight brocades.
Is there any extra benefit from doing the brocades standing rather then sitting, from what Ive read the brocades were originally done sitting.
Im more inclined to do them seated reather than standing, I also plan on getting the book to learn the postures as Im currently re-locating and dont have a DVD player, Is the book clear enough to get the technique.

Dan
danc
Forum Newbie

Insights with this Practice

Postby abersold » Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:15 pm

Hi,

Each brocade piece has a prescribed theory and benefit so on the outside looking at it they look very similar. But internally more is going on. I recommend Dr. Yangs dvd & book together he gives a version that is easily learnable. Master Da liu wrote a book about this called Taoist health exercises back in 1974 which has good info. Memorizing of the poems along with visualization's, with breath and movement will enhance the effect greatly. Take the time to go deep with this time tested practice.

Still meditation along with this will go along way also. The anthem here in this school of thought is "Less=More".
abersold
Forum Addict

Postby danc » Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:59 pm

My "Eight simple qigong exercises for health" book is on its way, I have the Da Liu book mentioned but I find his description for the 8 brocades a bit short on detail. Im going to do the seated brocades twice per day followed by meditation.

DC
danc
Forum Newbie

Postby Dvivid » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:16 am

Sitting 8 Brocades is to maintain health. Standing 8 is for building and increasing health. In ancient times, both sets were done, not just the sitting.
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Postby danc » Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:58 pm

So one cannot increase there health through the sitting brocades, If this is the case I will also learn the standing brocades as well..

Dan
danc
Forum Newbie

Return to Qigong / Chi Kung