Qigong in South Bay/Penninsula Area of San Francsico

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Qigong in South Bay/Penninsula Area of San Francsico

Postby entheogens » Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:25 pm

I have been reading Dr. Yang's books and am most impressed by them. I have been taking some Qi gong classes around here for the last 6 monts and have not found a teacher that is right for me. Could someone here recommend an instructor in the south bay/penninsula area of San Francisco? I live in Palo Alto.

If not, then a good instructor in San Francisco proper would be second best.

Thanks,

Thomas (entheogens)
entheogens
Forum User

easy and effective

Postby Michael User » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:18 am

.. . . . . . .
Last edited by Michael User on Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael User
Forum User

care to comment?

Postby maartenm » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:58 am

from your website:
"Q: What is long-distance Qi-healing? What is the principle?
Long-distance Qi-healing means that a Qigong Master can give Qi-healing to a patient who stays at a certain distance away from him. The reason it works is that the Qi in Qigong shows its material characteristics in three ways (see details in the Theory of Pan Gu Shengong). One of the ways is that Qi launches outward in the mode of a “field”. Like an electric field or a magnetic field, while a Qi field is launching outward, it also forms circles by circles, as waves urge new waves. It is no problem for a Qigong Master with strong issuing ability to launch the Qi far – say hundreds or thousands of miles. At present, a certain number of patients who cannot visit Master Ou are receiving Master Ou’s long-distance Qi-healing regularly."

I believe there are a lot of 'strange' things going on out there, but this is quite a claim. If you studied with him, you must have seen some pretty amazing things. Would care to explain exactly how all this is true before I start imagining him as some sort of short wave antenna? :)
maartenm
Forum Regular

I will try it.

Postby entheogens » Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:32 pm

Ok, I will try the form of Qigong proposed by Michael. Dont think I can go this Saturday but perhaps the following Saturday.

I have to admit that I am a bit sceptical about forms of Qigong that deviate from classical qigong, as appears to be the case here. But I will maintain an open mind and give it a go.

Part of my scepticism stems from a recent experience. I took some classes offered by the city of Palo Alto and taught by students of Dr. Sha http://www.drsha.com/ who claims to be a master and perform all kinds of miracles. I was very UNIMPRESSED. It looked more like faith healing to me. The instructor knew next to nothing about meridian system, did not even know about the governing and conception channel. It totally turned me off. Has anybody else here any experience with Dr. Sha's system? Perhaps it is just this particular instructor who I did not find to my liking.
entheogens
Forum User

proof is in the pudding

Postby Michael User » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:36 am

... . . . . . . .
Last edited by Michael User on Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael User
Forum User

Healing and Qi gong from Master Ou

Postby entheogens » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:41 pm

Michael Udell wrote:
<<If it's so easy, how can it be good? Aren't they mutually exclusive? Usually. The physical and mental parts are easy, and you will not spend any time gradually increasing the correctness of your physical movements in order to increase your skill and benefit from practicing. The physical part is the smallest. >>

Ok, so I went yesterday and received a healing from Master Ou and I also learned the moving form of Pan Gu Shengong.

I am trying to keep an open mind about this. The whole thing seems too simple. However, I must admit though to feeling a lot of Qi when doing the exercises. I dont know if that is good or bad. Last night I did not sleep very well, presumably because of this influx of qi.

My main problem is letting go of my scepticism. On the one hand, I want to be open, on the other hand I do not want to be gullible. It is important for me to find a balance between openness and healthy reserve.

-Thomas
entheogens
Forum User

Postby maartenm » Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:19 pm

thanks for the follow up. please feel free to share any new information, I'm interested, if a bit sceptical :)
maartenm
Forum Regular

Follow-up

Postby entheogens » Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:24 pm

Maarten et al:

As I said, I will give this some time. I think two months is fair and then I will evaluate.

One thing that I like is that you pay (US$)$100 to learn the form. If you want a healing(not mandatory), it costs you $40. That's it. Also he told me to come back in 3 weeks for another healing (not come back every other day). After you have paid the $100, the weekly class is free. Obviously you can only take the class if you live in the San Francisco Bay Area. My point is that he does not milk people of their money. That's good.

One thing that I find mildly suspicious is that you are not allowed to teach the form to others. It is so simple that I dont understand why that is so.
Perhaps Michael (if he is monitoring this thread still) can explain the reasons for the above.

When he (Master Ou) gave me the healing, I felt a lot of qi, especially in my hands and forearms. Last night and this morning while doing the form, I felt the same, plus strong qi (at times almost painful) in my face.
I have been taking other types of qi gong for the past 6-7 months so I have experienced the flow of qi before, however, I must say that the sensation was stronger in this case. Whether or not that (the sensation) is significant or not (or possibly a placebo effect), I dont know. I do have one health concern and I will use how well this qi gong helps resolve that as a primary measure of evaluating this qi gong.
entheogens
Forum User

Response

Postby Damion78 » Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:10 pm

What do they want from us?:o)
Damion78

Postby beggarsu » Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:10 pm

As for scientific explanations of Distance Qi Transmission, it might interest some to know that locality is an assumption in physics that physicists are now having to deal with because of results such as Bell's experiment. Here is a place for a start

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/ ... 18066/pg_2
beggarsu
Forum User

Postby beggarsu » Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:19 pm

As for why you cannot teach others the Qigong when you have learnt it, you would have to get an explanation from Master Ou himself or some other qualified Pangu Qigong representative.

In my understanding though, if Qigong is able to help people in cases where equally great disciplines like Surgery and Medicine were not able to, don't you think it should be equally as respected? A skilled surgeon will make a single operation look simple, but simple doesn't mean easy. Even if you had the instructions for a simple surgical procedure, you still probably wouldnt be able to cary it out. You would have to be a trained as a Surgeon and go through all the education and experience of a Surgeon.

In my experience, Qigong is very simple. But if you want to teach others Qigong, it is only responsible and ethical to not only learn from a Master, but also go through what he deems sufficient training to be an instructor. You will be dealing with someone else's mind and energy.
beggarsu
Forum User

teaching Pan Gu Shengong

Postby Michael User » Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:39 am

.. . . . . . .
Last edited by Michael User on Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael User
Forum User

Reply to Michael Udell

Postby entheogens » Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:24 pm

After a few weeks I decided to discontinue Pangu Shengong. It's not for me. This was a conscious decision on my part and not just a matter of laziness.

I am willing to share my reasons, if anyone wants to know.

-Thomas
entheogens
Forum User

PGSG practice

Postby Michael User » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:30 am

Dear Thomas:

Yes, please tell about your experience. I am curious to know and respect your decision. Certainly, no one thing is right for all people all the time.

I hope you find what's best for you.

Best wishes,
Michael
Michael User
Forum User

Pangu shengong

Postby entheogens » Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:07 pm

Ok, the reason that I did not continue with Pangu shengong is that I felt I was losing my power. What does that mean? Well, I did not feel like the power was coming from the movements but from the person of Master Ou. That power was never abused in any way, but I just did not like the feeling that the power was NOT emanating from me, or was not being generated from the exercises.

Of course, that was just my impression. As you said, the movements are very simple. So simple in fact that I could not believe in them. For that reason, I felt like any benefits must be coming from Master Ou. It did not help that his assistant gave me Master Ou's business card imbued with his power that I could "use whenever I needed some help". That weirded me out. It made me feel like one of those people who go to a gypsy fortuneteller who then burns a candle for luck.

Then, I actually started feeling worse after beginning the exericses. I know, I know. That COULD have just been some sort of detoxification, but it also could have been bad energy getting circulated. I had to make a judgement call. Do I advance forward or do I stop? I chose to stop.
Whether it was the voice of my intuition telling me to stop or some kind of hang-up, I dont know. In any case, I was not getting any positive feedback that encouraged me to continue.

This is just my experience. I would not advise others against trying it.
I am certainly willing to answer any other questions people might have about my experience and also willing to entertain the idea that I made a bad/hasty judgement.
entheogens
Forum User

choosing what's best for you

Postby Michael User » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:33 am

...... . . . ......
Last edited by Michael User on Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael User
Forum User

Postby beggarsu » Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:38 pm

To add another perspective to the excellent examples Michael gave, I'd like to note that similar things are also at play in things like Science and more material disciplines. In my academic experience, I'd have to say that I am not able to learn subjects (Philosophy, Physics, Literature,...), if I am not able to have my mind in a "receptive" state, or in some way "give myself up" to the teacher. If I don't think I can learn from a teacher, I will have a lot of difficulty in the subject, unless it is one I have already built up a lot of successful experience in and have a natural aptitude for (such as Math). Even then, there were times when I did not understand the simplest Math at all, and not trying to be egotistical, but I have a very high natural aptitude for Math (It is not unusual for my University Mathematics Professors to come to me for help with some very sophisticated Higher Math). So it's really a factor in learning anything that you have to put your mind in a at least somewhat receptive state to learn something. If you don't think you can learn from a teacher, you certainly won't be able to. Just like how you can learn Math or Biology very easily once you have been initiated and have an intuitive understanding for the "knack" of it, once you learn Qigong, it becomes very easy to learn Qigong. Like although I believe someone cannot learn Qigong effectively from a book or video, if they know Qigong already, it is very easy to learn Qigong effectively from a book or video.

Michael: Hey :) . Yeah, I live in the Bay Area, but I am often in Rochester, NY. I'm sure we will meet some time too.
beggarsu
Forum User

In Agreement

Postby entheogens » Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:08 pm

I agree with the above. Receptivity is an important component when learning anything, wheter it be Qi gong, math or any other domain. Receptivity seems to be triggered by one of the below:

1) Learner has resonance with teacher.

2) Method being studied makes sense to learner

3) Learner is so desperate (as in a dying cancer patient) that is willing to "go for it" because s/he has nothing to lose.

Of course, the line seperating true "resonance" and gullibility is often a fine one. Some people are more intuitive than others, some people are more gullible than others and some people are more cynical than others.

In the case of Pangu shengong, I did not feel any particular resonance with the teacher, and the method made no sense to me. Mind you, I am not an absolute neophyte when it comes to Qi gong and Qi gong in general makes sense to me. However, this particular kind of Qi gong, Pangu shengong, makes even less sense to me now that
Michael has explained that Pangu shengong purportedly taps into the Qi of the sun and moon. What about these exercises would access the particular Qi of the sun and moon? In the form, you are just moving your hands in circles and, at a particular moment, reciting a phrase. I'm not saying it's impossible. However, I cant quite suspend my doubts about it.
entheogens
Forum User

Postby beggarsu » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:23 pm

Indeed entheogens, there can be quite a fine line between receptivity and gullibillity. The Buddha indeed teaches not to believe things on faith but by direct experience and if it really makes sense to you. I'd like to echoe Michael's thanks for you being so open in your relating your experience with everyone here.
beggarsu
Forum User

Thanks

Postby entheogens » Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:33 pm

I am very happy that my experience has been warmly received here. As I said, I am sure that other people WILL get benefits from Pangu Shengong. I sincerely wish that it had been right for me. The search for a correct path has been arduous for me, so nobody would have been happier than me, had it been the appropriate way for me.
entheogens
Forum User

Return to Qigong / Chi Kung