Eight Pieces of Brocade with flat feet?

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Eight Pieces of Brocade with flat feet?

Postby Sabi » Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:27 am

I’ve have been practicing Eight Pieces of Brocade for a little while now and I am having a bit of difficulty with the horse stance. I have the flattest feet you can imagine (they actually bulge where the arch is supposed to be) and I find it to be nearly impossible to keep my feet parallel while keeping my knees at the required angle. Would it have adverse effects if I were to either allow me knees to bow inward or let me feet point outward?
Sabi
Forum Newbie

Postby TonyM. » Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:57 am

I believe that as it is the horse RIDING stance the legs need to be shaped like you were grabbing the horse with your legs for stability. I find imagery helpfull. Toes out allows too much chi to escape.
TonyM.
Forum Contributor

Postby Sabi » Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:09 am

Thank you for the reply.

I’ve found that I can keep my toes forward and legs in the right position if I rotate my ankles up and out, as if I’m forcing an arch into my foot. This however puts stress on the outside of my ankles and I can’t hold it for very long. I would imagine that if I kept at it I could strengthen my ankles enough to be able to maintain it, however I’m not sure if that would hinder me in eventually being able to relax my joints and establish a firm root. I’m not sure what to do; my shoes have arch supports in them so I don’t damage my knees over time while walking and I could wear them, but they are bulky and for some reason the thought of training in them doesn’t seem right.
Sabi
Forum Newbie

Postby Flip » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:10 am

my suggestion is to do as best you can in barefeet. Doing some qigong, even if your toes are pointed out, is better than not doing it. If your knees are really sore when your feet are straight, then let your toes point out a bit.

Mostly I'd recommend seeking out a qualified instructor who (unlike me) can take a look at you and recommend ways that you can adjust the positions or slightly modify them so that you can benefit as fully as possible.
Flip
Forum Addict

Postby scramasax57 » Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:03 pm

slowly try to build up flexibility in your lower legs. its flexibility and looseness that you need for this, not strength. don't compromise your stance by doing anything wierd with your ankles; from your description i can't really tell what you're doing, but your ankles should never be bowed. start with feet pointing out and slowly bring them more and more forward over the course of a couple months, being careful not to strain them.
aka eric hinds, 2nd stripe
n. andover, ma branch
yang's martial arts association

changchuan, baihe, and xingyi
scramasax57
Forum DemiGod

Return to Qigong / Chi Kung