new to qigong

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

new to qigong

Postby marsh_un » Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:27 am

hi i am new to this qigong stuff. i have been doing the exercises found at this website http://taichi18.com/
and would like to hear what you guys have to say about them. i have no background in tai chi so please keep it simple.
marsh_un
Forum Newbie

Postby TonyM. » Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:09 am

The exercises are fine, but, there is internal visualization that needs to be going on that can really only be transmitted to you by another human. Without this all you are really doing is moving your arms around.
TonyM.
Forum Contributor

Postby marsh_un » Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:14 am

Hi, is it possible for you to explain about the internal visualization. Do you think is would be impossible to learn Qigong from solely video and books? as i am unable to get to classes due to the hours i work.
marsh_un
Forum Newbie

Postby Inga » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:54 am

Cheers Marsh_un, I am new to QiGong exercises as well, and find them useful for health as well as martial arts applications. I can't vouch for the video but having taken a class and read Dr. Yang's books I can say that working with a master in person was the only way I really began to grasp the concept. It would be time well invested if you could take a class. Another thought, I have used shiatsu (massage) for years as a method of balancing and generating qi flow and can recommend it highly.
Inga
Admin

Postby marsh_un » Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:55 pm

i am thinking of changing my job for one with more sociable hours. when i am able to attend a class how will i know if the teacher is any good?
marsh_un
Forum Newbie

Postby Inga » Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:49 am

That is good news about a new job. It's admirable to work hard, but if you are unhappy, or if it starts to interfere with your health than I agree you should consider a change. I wish I were qualified to answer how to know if your instructor is good. I am extremely fortunate to have Dr. Yang teach so close to me.
Inga
Admin

Return to Qigong / Chi Kung