Arthritis Which qigong?

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Arthritis Which qigong?

Postby felipee » Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:32 am

Hello to you all.I wanted to start with qigong for fitness and meditation purposes,but for quite some time I have been experiencing pain in both hands,usually in the morning and night.From what I know these are most likely beginning symptoms of arthritis.(I could be wrong,of course)Now I am doubting if I should practice a specific form of qigong for arthritis prevention and healing,like the one taught by Dr.Yang in his book and video,or should I just start with a less specific form like Wild Goose Qigong?I do not have much time in daily life,like most of us I guess,so I can not afford to practice 30 minutes of specific qigong exercises for an ailment and then again 30 or more minutes practicing a "normal", more general form of qigong. Any advice would be welcome.Thanks in advance.

Felipe
felipee
Just Arrived

Postby Dvivid » Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:32 am

Any 'soft' qigong, without tension, will help your hands.

Dr. Yang has an Arthritis video 'Arthritis Relief', and his book 'Arthritis Relief' delves more into understanding the theory of qigong for arthritis, which you could apply toward your problem.

Do you work with your hands a great deal? Were they injured or over-used? If they are, or were at one time over-stimulated, they could be a 'weak link' in your system. In this case, when any pathogen is in your system, you may first feel it in your hands.

For instance, I used to use my hands extensively, hammering every day, with no problem. Then I moved into a home with a mold problem underneath the floor. Suddenly, every morning I woke up barely able to move my hands, and with a great deal of pain. See the interconnection?

I bought an air filter and the situation improved, but not until I moved out did it immediately cease.

Look at your situation from multiple angles. (There are many pathogens, not only mold.)
Last edited by Dvivid on Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Postby DOM » Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:10 am

Check out the white crane book,there is a few exercises specific to the hands that you can add to what ever else you mite do.Look in the soft chi gung section under wrist and finger gong,waving the fingers and octopus gung,rotating the wrists is in the hard chigung section but can be used as a soft gong.
DOM
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby Dvivid » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:02 pm

"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

Dvivid
Forum God

Postby joeblast » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:58 am

Get some Baoding balls! They work wonders for your hands.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baoding_Balls
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Postby Dvivid » Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:14 pm

Yes, they're demonstrated in that DVD too...

Dvivid
Forum God

Postby joeblast » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:25 am

^ bought my dad this DVD for his birthday...I'll watch it eventually, I have plenty of other material for myself :)
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Return to Qigong / Chi Kung