I'm new to taiji

Discuss Taijiquan or other soft styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga, taiqiman

I'm new to taiji

Postby Wushu-69 » Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:39 pm

hello,

I'm new to taiji and i love martial arts. There is a YMAA school close to where i live, but with work and all i do not have much time to drive that far. i was wondering if Dr.Yangs videos would work for me just as good? As far as learning the forms?
Wushu-69
Forum Newbie

learning taiji

Postby Cruagh » Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:48 pm

There's a great deal of important fundamentals on the dvd: stances, warm ups, theory and so on. Learning the form from it would be tough though. Some angles/directions are.. indefinite--the book helps here.

Other resources you should consider are Yang Zhen Duo's 3dvd set. The movements are explained step by step, an oragutan could learn from it. Also, Dr. Yang is an innovator, if you got his dvd and Zhen Duo's you'd quickly see differences. Finally, you'd have to tolerate a non-fluent (but understandable) translation of subtitles/voice-over on the latter, but I don't think it's an obstacle.

If you've got that school near you, go visit it some day.

Good luck
Last edited by Cruagh on Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cruagh
Forum User

Postby Dillon » Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:42 pm

However good the video's may be, there is no substitution for real instruction. In the end you need to decide what you want and what you're willing to do to get it. If you really want to train, you will find or make the time to get to a teacher. If you don't want it badly enough to put in the effort, you won't get the results.

Good luck in whatever you choose!
Dillon
Forum User

re:

Postby Wushu-69 » Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:13 pm

well i purchased the Taijiquan classical Yang style dvd by Dr. Yang. i would like to study at one of his schools but financialy it will be hard for me at the moment. can you give me the link for the Yang zhen duo's 3dvd set? i couldnt find it. thank you
Wushu-69
Forum Newbie

Re: re:

Postby Cruagh » Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:39 am

Wushu-69 wrote:well i purchased the Taijiquan classical Yang style dvd by Dr. Yang. i would like to study at one of his schools but financialy it will be hard for me at the moment. can you give me the link for the Yang zhen duo's 3dvd set? i couldnt find it. thank you

One of many places that offer it, good service too:
http://www.earthworks.com/china/martial ... l#dvdbegin
Cruagh
Forum User

l

Postby Wushu-69 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:48 am

thank you, its very helpful. :D
Wushu-69
Forum Newbie

Return to Taijiquan / Tai Chi Chuan