Taijiquan combat applications

Discuss Taijiquan or other soft styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga, taiqiman

Postby BaguaMonk » Fri May 06, 2005 3:30 am

Yeah WKK is awesome, but some of the things he teaches to the average masses of his students/non students is hard to swallow. Perhaps with all his experience he could use it immediately and perhaps effectively. But it is true that sometimes people, especially as they train more and get older (hence less real contact) become slightly dissulisioned in this aspect. Or maybe their skill level reaches such a point that the same way of thinking doesn't apply to them as much, after all, almost all Taiji teachers tell me that Taiji constantly changes and gets better as you get older.
Only thing I don't like about WKK's examples is they are too "by the book" in terms of sticking with the technique. Taiji allows one to flow and do whatever is necessary to resolve the situation, never does a Taiji practicioner sit and think "hmm what technique am I going to use if this happens?" because that (except in training) will get you probably beaten.

By the way that video is awesome, that is the Yang style routine for it right?
"Absolute truth is obtained when the mind achieves complete stillness, the ego and thought are like shackles and chains, blinding you from the obvious truth"
BaguaMonk
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby DOM » Mon May 09, 2005 7:03 am

Taichi is a very deep and profound art..Most likely the most advanced and deadly.But I beleave there are very few peaple in the world today that could use it againsted a seasoned fighter never mind a seasond tai fighter.
DOM
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby BaguaMonk » Fri May 27, 2005 3:48 pm

True.

I've used it in real life, but by "using it" didn't mean I applied Taiji techniques. The rooting, sensitivity, and awareness alone allowed me to instinctively win, without really having to "rely" on anything. I'm friends with a Judo/Jujitso guy, and the moment he tried to take me down forcefully, all I did was slightly move the placement of my foot and push him a bit and he ended up falling and rolling on the floor since his force was already going that way. This has happened to me many times, but I dont' recall every using a Taiji app. So, with just the basics, it can go a long ways to defeating others.

But yeah, Taiji in its full spledor truly is for the extremely dedicated
"Absolute truth is obtained when the mind achieves complete stillness, the ego and thought are like shackles and chains, blinding you from the obvious truth"
BaguaMonk
Forum ÜberGuru

Return to Taijiquan / Tai Chi Chuan