Hiya's

Discuss Taijiquan or other soft styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga, taiqiman

Hiya's

Postby Mach » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:30 am

Just wanted to stop in and say hello as I'm new here. I've been practicing the log form for about 4 years. It took me 2 years to learn it with applications in mind per video and then another 2 (and still working on it) to practice it in the other direction starting left instead of right 6 times a week. Also Tai Chi ball three times a week and the Tai Chi fit class for fun once a week with one of David D. students/teacher. I'm the sole caregiver to my Mom of 86 with dementia so practice is my "me time"
My Dad was a pro boxer I already knew a hard style so I had a head start with knowing the difference between hard and soft. (still working on it) So far its been a fantastic trip.

Happy New Year!!
Mach
Forum User

Re: Hiya's

Postby ufateh » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:26 pm

Its great to know you are practicing the long form Mach. Did you use the Tai Chi for Beginners DVD to learn the form. I have also started using the DVD and I am currently learning. Its great to see someone who has learned the form on their own. I go through one or two movements a week and dont move ahead until I feel confident and comfortable in each movement. I have been taping myself at times comparing movements

Any challenges that you faced. I would appreciate any advise :)
ufateh
Forum Contributor

Postby Mach » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:45 pm

Yes the Tai Chi for beginners dvd. I had practiced the short form for a while before the long form. I guess I did two postures at a time because I got the impression that how you get from posture to posture is important. I stayed on one section until I was comfortable with it also with the simple application of it. In time I was able to complete the 108. My biggest challenge was/is my root. I'm lucky enough to be able to practice between two large trees. Once I was trying not to "butt out" when I noticed a single spider strand wet with due shinning in the sun with a leave suspended from it. I'm still learning from those trees. I listen to every thing Dr. Yang says in that dvd it all has meaning. I also use the Applications dvd it gives you even more insight.
Sorry I don't know enough to give advise but we can learn together.
Mach
Forum User

Postby ufateh » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:31 pm

Yes of course. We are all learning and I would appreciate any input.
ufateh
Forum Contributor

Postby Mach » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:22 pm

Hows it going ufateh??
Have you been practicing? I did my usual 108 three times and some Tai Chi ball today. I should say I started practice while getting dressed. I always dress standing to sense my center of gravity. Pants ,socks. tie shoes. Lots of time on one foot. I devise little ways to practice all through the day.
Have a good day
Mach
Forum User

Postby ufateh » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:42 pm

Sorry for such a late reply. I hope you are well.

Its been good. Restarted the form again and now I am on my fourth movement. Hopefully I can have the basic form done by end of this year or next January and will start coordinating with breathing after. You are right. Establishing the root/feeling is most important thing. Dr. Yang said on the DVD that if you get the first three movements down, others become relatively easy to learn so I am not rushing as I want get the correct feeling and want to be relaxed enough in a posture to move ahead. As many of the postures repeat in the form, I am thinking that I will make relatively better progress. As I am not near any YMAA schools or teachers who can teach me the long form, I plan to visit the retreat center and other YMAA schools for a few days for corrections and further training.

I also want to start Tai Chi ball qigong. Hopefully in a few months. :)
ufateh
Forum Contributor

Postby Mach » Tue May 29, 2018 4:55 pm

Sorry for the long time between replies myself.
Good to see your at it again. I've been training at 4:30 in the morning to get the feel for the change from yin to yang. I now believe there is also another reason. At 4;30 am its still dark and a little harder to get your center and balance. After about 9 months of this I can do the first part with my eyes closed. Food for thought :) Tai Chi teaches you to be aware of your surroundings, not only physical but also your surroundings on your path through life.
Mach
Forum User

Postby ufateh » Wed May 30, 2018 5:09 pm

Good to hear from you Mach. So a bit of development on my side. I have registered for the Taijiquan seminar at the retreat center and will be attending the seminar next year. I have gotten down 8 movements down and to finish the first part by end of August and work on on refining it for the next couple of months afterwards so I could start on the second and the third part of the long form. Hopefully I will have most of the form down when the Seminar starts in August of next year but I am not in a hurry. Mastering the movement and feeling will take a long time. I practice every day.

I also have been doing Tai Chi Qigong before the form and will be practicing the White Crane soft Qigong on a select couple of days every week.

On the side note, I have also started Long Fist Kung Fu fundamentals through Dr Yang DVD and plan to work on the fundamentals for the whole year before moving onto to the forms. For that I have found Shaolin Kung Fu DVD along with the two conditioning DVDs to be very good form of training.
ufateh
Forum Contributor

Postby Mach » Thu May 31, 2018 5:54 am

Wow thats great. I thought about the retreat also but I don't think I could get away...oh well. Best wishes for you. Sounds like a very busy schedule have fun with it !!!!
Mach
Forum User

Postby ufateh » Thu May 31, 2018 4:09 pm

Will let you know how it goes. Regards
ufateh
Forum Contributor

Postby Dvivid » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:16 am

One great point from this conversation is: we eventually are training all day, every day. Qigong and Tai Chi develop your awareness to the point that you are mindful all the time of your balance, alignment, body weight, sensitivity, etc...

Enjoy your practice.
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Return to Taijiquan / Tai Chi Chuan