Learning the Yang style Long Form

Discuss Taijiquan or other soft styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga, taiqiman

Learning the Yang style Long Form

Postby ufateh » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:50 pm

I have started learning Tai Chi Chuan through "Tai Chi for beginners" video apps by Dr. Yang Jwing Ming. I find it very thorough and try my best to practice it the best way possible by regular practice and also by video taping myself sometimes.

What is the recommended way of learning each of the three parts of the form? i.e minimum time period to given to each part to grasp them fully.

Also once the main form is learned what area should I concentrate on first. Martial applications of the main form or weapon forms?
Last edited by ufateh on Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ufateh
Forum Contributor

Re: Learning the Yang Long Form

Postby Sanfung » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:40 pm

In my experience it's best to first learn the martial applications after learning the full long form in order to fully grasp what's going on, if that makes sense, before you move onto weapon's training. Each step lends another level of complexity to the action and something more to understand, thus I feel that it would make sense to continue to go in this order to experience the most continuity. Out of curiosity, how much time have you been giving yourself so far to learn each section?

It's nice to see new faces here, so if you haven't been welcomed properly, then let me say welcome aboard :)
Sanfung
Forum Guru

Postby ufateh » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:42 am

Thanks Sanfung. My apologies for not posting earlier.

I started in February this year so I am at the first part. I am trying to learn 2 movements every week depending on difficulty of movements and then practice them for 15 to 20 minutes every day. I am also trying to make sure that I dont move ahead before feeling comfortable with the previously learned movements.
ufateh
Forum Contributor

Postby Sanfung » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:28 pm

Please never worry about how long it takes to get back to me. Honestly, things have seemed a bit sleepy around here as of late anyway. That being said, I have been wondering how it was going with learning two moves at a time. Provided that everything has gone well, I assume that you have been progressing quite a bit since that time.
Sanfung
Forum Guru

Postby ufateh » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:55 pm

Actually it has been slower. I stopped learning but have made a commitment now to start learning again. I hadn't been exercising for some time as well. I have slowly starting to bring myself back to form.

Wish me luck I dont want to let go this time. All the way to the end no matter how tough or how long :)

By the way is it OK if I make a new thread on this forum and regularly post links to my form progress for others to critique? Has anyone done this here before?
ufateh
Forum Contributor

Postby ufateh » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:52 pm

Hi My Friends,

So I am back again and I did restart the long form through the "Tai chi for Beginners" DVD a few weeks back and have been slowly progressing while doing my best to do the form correctly. I have given myself a designated half an hour early every morning to learn and practice and will increase that time as I learn more of the form. It is going well and has already been very rewarding. Similarly I have been reading the classical yang style book as well as Tai Chi theory book by Dr. Yang.

I will be posting my progress here. Would appreciate if any of you can give me feedback as I progress and share your experience so we can all learn from each other

I am not planning to go to retreat center this year but next year. By that time I may have a very very basic understanding of the form and then can visit there for corrections during the seminars.
ufateh
Forum Contributor

Re: Learning the Yang style Long Form

Postby ufateh » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:25 pm

I have finished first three movements and working towards learning the fourth movement of the Yang long form. Dr Yang said on the DVD that if you learn these three movements correctly and put in time future movements should be relatively easier to learn. Honestly the coiling has been the most difficult to execute correctly. Until I have had the correct feeling and felt relaxed enough to perform them correctly I couldn't proceed ahead. Giving myself till the end of January next year to get to learn all the basic movements. Then I will start coordinating with breathing. Hopefully when I go to the retreat center next year, I can have my movements corrected.
ufateh
Forum Contributor

Return to Taijiquan / Tai Chi Chuan